Menu

OPGTTR--when to start?

Cranberry

I was wondering if someone who has used this program could tell me if my son is ready for this or not...

he's just 3, and loves to do school. Usually sits with big brother (5yo kinder) doing activity bags or kumon type books for the entire school time. Has a long attention span, loves doing letters, numbers, school type stuff.

he recognizes all upper and lower case letters (has for over 6 months now) and is beginning to connect them to sounds they make. Just this week he's been able to pick out B words, and rhyming words. He can write his name, and think of other words that start with the same letter as his name. He has lots of things memorized of his brothers schoolwork just by sitting at the table with us (like long A, FLL poems).

Now I don't plan to start anything until another month or so as we have a move coming up and I can't spare the planning/implementing time right now. But as soon as we are settled, I know my 3yo will be starving for something structured to do.

I know that many of you will say don't bother doing anything formal, but that's not really my question. I know he needs/wants it and if at any time it seems to be frustrating we'll stop. What I'm asking is are his skills ready for Ordinary Parents' guide or should I stick with something like letter of the week level?

Edited by Cranberry

I'd make sure he knows all of the letter sounds. After that, I don't see any harm in giving it a try.

Have you looked at the Get Ready, Get Set, & Go for the Code books? They're the Primers for Explode the Code and my pre-readers have enjoyed them until they're ready to read (or understand blending). I've had to modify them some (skipping some writing), but overall they've been a good time filler until they're ready for Phonics Pathways and Explode the Code.

I got OPGTTR to use with my 3.5 yr old. We haven't done much yet. He already knows his letter sounds and can recognize some words. I used a couple of the lessons on beginning blending and he enjoyed it and seemed to get it. I don't see any harm in it because we're obviously not pushing them to do it for hours or when they don't want to. I can't see how someone forces their three year old to do this stuff anyway. Have fun and don't worry about it. I don't exactly go around telling people I am teaching my 3 year old to read. I didn't use a program for my older son at this age but my three year old is farther than he was at this point.

I used, Teach Your Child How to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with my 3.5 year old ds (way back when). Like your child, he already knew his upper and lower case letters and the sounds (thanks to the Leap Frog video). When he would look at books, posters or paper, he would always ask me, "What does this say Mommy?"

I felt he was ready (and I had more time then), so I started teaching him. I don't feel the same way with my almost 4 year old dd. She is just now starting to ask what things say- but I still don't want to teach her until she is 5 almost 6 :tongue_smilie:. Her brother can read to her. :lol:

**Just wanted to add, I also used OPGTTR after we finished 100 EZ Lessons. OPGTTR wasn't available when I started 100 EZ lessons.

Edited by daisychics

thank you everyone, so I'm hearing that he should be able to know the sounds each letter makes before starting? So any suggestions on what to use to get to that point. I mean I guess I can just pick a letter each day and go through it but I was hoping to have something structured I didn't have to think about planning. :tongue_smilie:

thank you everyone, so I'm hearing that he should be able to know the sounds each letter makes before starting? So any suggestions on what to use to get to that point. I mean I guess I can just pick a letter each day and go through it but I was hoping to have something structured I didn't have to think about planning. :tongue_smilie:

Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD. It's magic. Really.

I started in K with my dd. My middle son was noticing letters early so I used a small white board and taught him the letter sounds on there and then had him erase the letter by tracing it. And introduced reading 2 and 3 letter words on the white board (5 minutes max) We did it on and of through the year when he was 4 and then started OPG after lesson 26 a little before he turned five (sometimes just half a lesson). Then by the time he started K we are doing full lessons 4 X a week until we finish. Hope that helps someone. My younger son (4yrs) isn't recognizing letters yet, I tried starting with him earlier but he wasn't ready, I'll probably try again after the new year.

Your son sounds just like my 3yo dd. I was also having her do the same things your son is doing. I had OPGTTR just lying around, so I decided to try it with her. I didn't expect anything from her, I just wanted her to feel included in school time. We are now on our second lesson, and she really likes it.

OPGTTR teaches the sounds of letters. It starts with the vowels, so it is not in alphabetical order.

In a couple of weeks I am going to get the ETC A,B,C primer books. She can do them at her leisure.

No, OPGTR starts with learning to sound of each letter. You can pick up and go with your little guy from lesson one.

I am on Lesson 50 of OPGTR with my four-year-old. He didn't come to the table knowing nearly as much as your son already does. I say jump right in whenever you're settled from the current upheaval. :001_smile: