Menu

Anyone else seen these numbers from PAC compaines to the candidates?

Special thanks to the Center for Responsive Politics for existing, and to Matt Collins for doing the research on it.

Top 10 Corporate PAC Contributors:

Obama:

Goldman Sachs $739,521

UBS AG $419,550

Lehman Brothers$391,774

Citigroup Inc $492,548

Morgan Stanley $341,380

Latham & Watkins $328,879

Google Inc $487,355

JPMorgan Chase & Co $475,112

Sidley Austin LLP $370,916

Skadden, Arps et al $360,409

McCain:

Merrill Lynch $349,170

Citigroup Inc $287,801

Morgan Stanley $249,377

Wachovia Corp $147,456

Goldman Sachs $220,045

Lehman Brothers $115,707

Bear Stearns $108,000

JPMorgan Chase & Co $206,392

Bank of America $133,975

Credit Suisse Group $175,503

This just sickens me. I may vote Libertarian. I just don't know. Why doesn't the American public care?:confused:

Special thanks to the Center for Responsive Politics for existing, and to Matt Collins for doing the research on it.

Top 10 Corporate PAC Contributors:

Obama:

Goldman Sachs $739,521

UBS AG $419,550

Lehman Brothers$391,774

Citigroup Inc $492,548

Morgan Stanley $341,380

Latham & Watkins $328,879

Google Inc $487,355

JPMorgan Chase & Co $475,112

Sidley Austin LLP $370,916

Skadden, Arps et al $360,409

McCain:

Merrill Lynch $349,170

Citigroup Inc $287,801

Morgan Stanley $249,377

Wachovia Corp $147,456

Goldman Sachs $220,045

Lehman Brothers $115,707

Bear Stearns $108,000

JPMorgan Chase & Co $206,392

Bank of America $133,975

Credit Suisse Group $175,503

This just sickens me. I may vote Libertarian. I just don't know. Why doesn't the American public care?:confused:

This isn't accurate, according to the site you linked. I didn't look at Sen. McCain, but according to here on the site, Sen. Obama has a total of $450 in PAC money. The money that you report above (who is Matt Collins?) comes from that page and represents "its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families" according to the page who are limited to, what, $2300 apiece?, who have reported their place of employment or affiliation as THAT ENTITY. (In the case of Google, for example, they work for Google or a family member does.) You can read how they ask for and report info here. (I know that the part I quoted above also says "its PAC's," but the fact is that for *this campaign* for President, Sen. Obama will not take PAC money. I imagine the $450 is still sitting there to be returned, as some monies have been returned according to the oversight website that you linked.

For example again, his second highest "donor" is Harvard University, but that doesn't mean that Harvard is supporting him. It's just that people affiliated with Harvard put that affiliation in their disclosure information, and OpenSecrets reported the affiliation in aggregate.

Ok, I looked at Sen. McCain, and it shows he has approx $1.3M in PAC money. So you see, less than the approx $2M you list above.

Who compiled the info you put up above? They misrepresented the facts, unfortunately.

Thank you Pam...I'll look into it. I know they all received copious amounts of money from Freddie/Fannie. I'll look into it some more.

Remember though, as you research, that of $126,000 that Sen. Obama received, $120,000 was from *individuals* who either worked for or were affiliated with Fannie/Freddie. $6000 was PAC, but not for this campaign. The cap for individuals is, IIRC, $2300. And when someone is running for prez, one's contributions will be higher than when one is a sitting senator/rep.

One wonders if Chris Dodd and John Boehner were running for something though, huh? Sheesh. And most of Boehner's and a good chunk of Dodd's *is* PAC money.

John McCain's receipts were not on the OpenSecrets site, but you can see them here. If this list is right, then

McCain got $169,900 + 21,550 = $191,450

( $21,550 from individual donors, $169,900 PAC (from the company))

. I may vote Libertarian. I just don't know. Why doesn't the American public care?:confused:

According to the Opensecrets site, Bob Barr actually has more PAC money than Obama and a poorer record of disclosure about where his funds come from than either major party candidate.

Former Rep. Bob Barr, once a Republican, announced that he's running for president on the Libertarian ticket, blasting the two major parties for not implementing more fiscal restraint. Barr, who helped successfully push through Bill Clinton's impeachment and who lost his Georgia House seat to redistricting in 2002, has maintained his leadership political action committee since then. He has raised $4.5 million through his PAC since the 2004 election cycle yet has given only 2 percent of that to other politicians -- a sign he was thinking about running for president.

It's not a huge amount...actually, I'm not clear on where most of the 4.5 million is supposed to have gone, since it only shows a bit over $8,000 from PAC contributions (1% of total funds).