Menu

Teaching Textbooks

Working through a less challenging math program at a higher level/accelerated pace is not the same as working through a more challenging program at a lower level/slower pace.  I'd switch to Singapore (or Beast Academy) as soon as possible because the sooner you make the switch, the more of a benefit she is going to get from the program.

• Like 1

If she loves TT then I don't see why you can't use that with her.  Many do and do well with it.  It gets a bad wrap from some but there are many who's children have used it and gone on to college with a pretty solid foundation.  I would encourage you to have her writing out problems or working through the workbook, not just doing the computer work.  It can become an issue later on if they aren't used to writing out math problems (become too dependent on the tech).  Also, there are actually ways to work through TT without understanding the material.  I would review with her separately fairly often to confirm understanding, retention and functionality outside of that program.   

I agree with EKS, though, that she might very much benefit from also working through a more conceptual program.  You could do it alongside TT.  You might consider doing Beast Academy together for the more in depth, conceptual side of math.  She might still find it fun, but there is more "meat" to it, if that makes any sense.  I think combining TT with Beast could a be a terrific combination, depending on the child.  You could move her through Beast at a slower pace.  

And of course, Singapore is a good program, too.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1