Menu

Any Classical Conversations Foundations parents care to tell me how you flesh it out? If you don't, no need to respond :)

momee

I'm not going to be able to do CC and our previous curricula.  We need the social opportunity so CC it is.  The previous stuff we were using wouldn't work really this year anyway because we are soo off the schedule with so much of it.  As such, I am considering making our CC work the focus for history and science.  I can do Apologia Astronomy as our main text and we can finish our Nancy Larson stuff we didn't get to this year but history is different.

I am ok with using SOTW as our main text and line it up with CC weeks - it will probably move crazy fast that way since CC goes from creation to current, right?  And I have heard there are some lapbooks that we can do.  What about readers?  I don't have any CC materials yet so at this point I'm just going from memory.

How do you all put meat and bones on the CC work if you use it as your full curricula for history?  I understand not everyone does, that's ok.  To each his own.  But this year I am going to so I'd love to hear from folks who do the same...  

We're no longer doing CC, but the year we did, I used Sola Gratia Mom's plans for my then-first grader. I found them to be useful and nice for that age. I'm not sure if she is still updating them, but it does appear that she still sells plans.

http://www.solagratiamom.com/search/label/Teaching%20Plans

Edited by greyseal
  • Like 1

We did CC for 3 years, and I tutored for two of those.  I honestly don't recommend trying to line things up.  CC jumps around a lot in every subject, so it is difficult to line up.  I just used whatever curriculum I liked, and used CC as memory work.  Connections are made whenever you study the topic.

If you are set on lining things up, there are tons of resources that line up SOTW, MOH, etc. with CC.  You can also use the history and science cards as resources and teach directly from them while adding reading from the library.  

• Like 3

We used library books to flesh out the science memory work.  It was our best year of science in K-6! 

I'd go to the library and get bags full of books on whatever the science memory work was for the next three or four weeks of CC. (The year we did it had a lot on geology & rocks.) I'd bring home books from the picture book/easy reader section up through adult books with lots of captioned pictures. We all spent 30 minutes a day reading whatever we felt like from the stacks of books on that period's topics. If they wanted to read an entire book, fine. If they just wanted to page through and look at the pictures & read the captions, fine. It was surprising how much they went on to read when they were free to read whatever they wanted.

On Friday, we'd get together and I'd write up on the whiteboards a sort of combined outline of the interesting facts/info we'd each accumulated during the week. (I usually had a general idea of the basic framework of info/ideas/supporting bits of info for whatever that week's topic was that I kind of guided the children toward building on the whiteboard.)

It was everything I'd hoped home schooling would be when we started!  Almost completely interest-driven, but guided by a general framework that I kept in sight. I wish I could have been as flexible with other subjects and in other years.  It was a truly great year of science!

• Like 1

Are you doing Essentials, too?  I believe there is a lot of medieval history, including in the IEW part of Essentials, right?  What we did was to get a few literature guides from Memoria Press from the medieval time period plus I just had my dd go through Mystery of History, Book 2 (on the Middle Ages).  We did not try to line up week by week as it would be too hard.  Anyway, I have heard that it is okay if material is review or preview.  We also used the Prescripts that lined up the history sentences for cursive practice, which included art from the Middle Ages time period.

For science, we just did Apologia General Science instead.  I had purchased all the history timeline cards and science ones, too.  I wish I would have been more creative in using them, but it never happened.

• Like 1

If you get a subscription to Classical Conversations Connected online there are all sorts of resources that various moms and tutors have put together either to teach the material to their classes or to flesh out the materials at home.  There are lots of great ideas there!!  

• Like 1