Menu

I'm back w/ a question about spelling...

Sue G in PA

The "draw" of this board is simply too strong for me...just can't stay away. :D Anyway, as it seems we are not making any rash decisions to put the kids back in ps right now (holding off until Spring and we'll make the decision for next year), I have a question about spelling. I must streamline my day. I had purchased AAS thinking it would be a good fit for my ds10 as he struggles w/ spelling. Well, it might be a good fit for him, but I simply don't have enough time in my day to learn how to implement this program and make it work for us. Another big issue is finances. I can't afford to keep buying it. AND, the money I could make from the sale of what I already have would be beneficial to our budget right now. I have Simply Spelling. Is that good enough in combo w/ ILL (which he already uses right now)? I'm also thinking of just making spelling lists w/ words that he misspells in his writing throughout the week. Is this an "okay" plan? The "rules" person in me is just cringing. Can a child really learn how to be a good speller if they aren't using a "rules" based spelling program? The draw of AAS was that it taught spelling using rules. I don't want to shortchange my son, esp. if he might be attending ps next year, but I MUST (I repeat: MUST) streamline my day and make it easier. Any thought? Thanks.

Have you taken a look at Hannah's program Word Attack? It's rule based and you can download it for less than $8. From what I've seen I don't think that it would take too much parental involvement. Here's a thread where Hannah answered some of my questions about her program.

You could also used the words he misspells in dictation for your spelling list and teach the corresponding rule, but that seems like a lot of work for you to do.

I have links to some free spelling programs online, and a link to a list of rules.

Also, there is a $13 workbook called "Tricks of the Trade" that lets them write down words they misspell according to their rule/pattern. You could make up your own notebook, but this one is inexpensive enough that you probably wouldn't save much money anyway, and it's nicely arranged, and very cute.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

If you are dreading the spelling part of your day, then I would say that is not the program for you. No matter how "beneficial" it might be. If you aren't enjoying it that will come across. Sell it and move on. We changed programs after a few weeks of school and I do not regret allowing myself the freedom to change what wasn't working. We purchased a sequential spelling workbook and notebook for less then $20 and have not looked back. I wanted a curriculum, since I am new at this. If you feel comfortable creating your own program, I would give it a try. A month or so should be enough to know whether or not you need to spend the money. There are lots of online resources for age appropriate spelling lists.

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. I'll look into Calvert, although I'm unsure his keyboarding skills are advanced enough for it. Word attack seems a bit easy...are there other levels? I have Simply Spelling...could I just use that? It is not rules based, but many love it. I'm also looking into the recommendations of MFW since we use that curriculum for Geography. Thanks again...back to the drawing board. :D

If you like Simply Spelling then use it. I have it and I think it would be fine to use. Another one to consider would be Spelling Plus. It covers 1st - 6th grade. I am using the dictation portion on the program.

Now having said that whatever spelling program that you like and will use is going to be better than one that you don't like and just sits on the shelf. I am learning that the best curriculum is the one that actually gets done on a regular bases.

Jan