Menu

ktgrok, how is your bird feeder doing?

Lady Florida.

I tried to find your original thread and revive it, but the search feature here never works well for me. Anyway -

Today at my feeder I watched a pair of cardinals, a red-bellied woodpecker, some mourning doves, and a Carolina wren. The bird seed is low but I don't want to refill it too much because of the rain that's forecast for today and tomorrow.

And as I watched those birds from my kitchen window, I thought of you and wondered how it's going with your feeder. 

Aw, thanks for asking! It's not super busy, but we've seen some action. We get a cardinal and his lady friend several times a week. He comes down to grab the seed and then takes some to her up in the nearby tree :)

And today we had a mourning dove, on the ground, eating the seed the squirrels have knocked to the ground. 

Speaking of which, the baffle has slowed them at the feeder, but we need another one to put on the pole, as some squirrels can scale the pole. But they have also decided they do like the corn we've put out in the squirrel feeder, so are mostly sticking to that. Well...at least part of the time :)

Between the cardinals and the squirrels it is at least fun to watch, and we daily spend time watching out the window. 

For extra fun, you both might like to download a bird call app. DD adores using it to talk to cardinals, they'll swoop from tree to tree around her. She just sits quietly in a chair. The chickadees respond, as do the ruby throated grosbeaks. Nuthatches don't care, or maybe it's the titmouse that doesn't care, but for the most part, we have a good time with talking to the birds. :)

• Like 2

For extra fun, you both might like to download a bird call app. DD adores using it to talk to cardinals, they'll swoop from tree to tree around her. She just sits quietly in a chair. The chickadees respond, as do the ruby throated grosbeaks. Nuthatches don't care, or maybe it's the titmouse that doesn't care, but for the most part, we have a good time with talking to the birds. :)

Oh they would love that! My DD just learned to whistle and she actually has been "talking" with the cardinal a bit on her own :)

• Like 1