Menu

6th Grade Math Suggestions

My DS just finished up his Singapore math for this year.  He seems to really like math and he is freakishly good at it, but he has spent all year hating the curriculum.  We've done Singapore for 3 years, but he wants something new for next year.  His two requests are 1. Nothing too "kiddish" and 2. He wants everything (instruction and exercises) all in one book.  Right now he reads the textbook and then has to switch over to the workbook.  

I've looked online at a few things, but nothing really jumps out at me.  What would you suggest???

I had a similar issue last year. My very good child wanted a change after years of MEP and a younger child was really fed up with not having everything in one place. 

For my now Year 6 kid, we're using Math Essentials. It's been very good at both making us happy that he can move through areas he grasps quickly relatively quickly as well as making it obvious when he needs more practice at something. It does have web videos for most lessons which he does in his grid paper maths workbook, but the 'helpful hints' on each page includes the important instructions. 

For the other child, we switched to Math Mammoth which she is super happy with now though find testing through to see what she needed work on rather dull. 

He seems to really like math and he is freakishly good at it, but he has spent all year hating the curriculum

Time to look at AoPS Prealgebra.  It is a text only.  There are additional, free online options of videos and Alcumus, the problem solving practice program.

(ETA, I was first recommending MM as the obvious choice with instruction and exercises in one "worktext."  However, after re-reading, I strongly suggest taking a look at AoPS.)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

What about a regular textbook? I've been using the old Houghton Mifflin Structure and Method w/ my 6th grader and it's pretty good. I like it because I transitioned my DS to textbooks in Algebra and he had so much difficulty getting used to the format. I like that my 6th grader is getting used to using a textbook while the material is still normal (not variables, etc.) so she can practice showing and organizing her work before she gets to Algebra.

I second looking at AOPS - their preA is very comprehensive and not little kiddish at all. If you get the digital textbook version then the videos and solutions are integrated! There's also the Alcumus question bank for additional problems.

Have you tried Saxon it is good if you are good at math and pick up the concepts quickly and it includes lots of review in every lesson.  My dd went from Math Mammoth to Saxon but was having problems so we do a combination of MM and Saxon because Saxon only does about 5-10 lesson practice problems and about 30 review practice problems. It seems to work great for someone that really likes math. It is all in one no Teachers guide.