Menu

I hate the word "maker"

Janie Grace

I think that was the intention...to be as broad as possible so all manner of creative, intentional making could come under the term.  Yes, it's used in other ways, but like you said, it's obvious you wouldn't call a mess maker a "Maker" without the "mess" added.  It's clear what it means, but broad enough to be widely inclusive.  (PS:  And sandwiches MIGHT come under the term maker...if creative and inventive effort went into.)

It's something that always existed...... but now it's an identity. An identity that makes people feel defensive and get offended about! 

Of course each of us has freedom to define herself.  Very much not a big deal.   Just my own discomfort with ambiguity, like I said.

My husband is an engineer, so it's not too unlikely at least one of my kids will be in an 'maker' class or club before too long. I'm sure they'll love it. (And would have loved it if it had been Engineering Club, STEM club, Tinker club or whatever other name.....) It's all good.

• Like 1