Menu

History for junior year

I have narrowed down the choices for my 11th grader to three options. I was wondering if anyone who has used these programs could compare them. 

Option 1 Oak Meadow World History. Main advantage is that this one has options for output related to history. The main disadvantage is that it is based on textbook. I think my daughter would like the get it done aspect of a textbook, but in general finds textbooks boring. 

Option 2 Biblioplan. Main advantage is that I could cover the same time period with her and her 8th grade brother. Companion guide would be like a text book, but also includes lots of books. Main disadvantage is that she wouldn't have an many creative options for output. 

Option 3 Old Western Culture. Main advantages are also disadvantages - videos and great books. 

My daughter is very uninterested in anything school related. She likes to read books that she finds interesting. She does plan to go to college, but is leaning towards a state school with a focus on dance. I am not sure how many great books she will read in college so I would like for her to read some in high school. Any input one which would be appropriated. 

We enjoyed Oak Meadow. We bought the book, syllabus, and teacher's guide - I assume that's what you're talking about, not an online class. 

My daughter does not enjoy history so she liked the 'get it done' aspect.  My son loves history but did not mind that textbook too much.  He likes structure so that was good for him.  He did a lot of other reading to go along with it.  I liked that the writing assignments were straightforward.

Edited by marbel

Option 2. 

If she wants creative options for output, she can google for ideas and you can switch out some assignments. Search things like "Crusades assignments 10th grade" obviously inserting the correct topic/time and grade. 

Once she sees some examples, she can start generating ideas of her own. 

If she doesn't want to, then she can do the work as assigned.