Menu

Teaching Company

The History of the English Language. Absolutely fascinating.

The Life and Writings of C.S. Lewis (but I adore Lewis anyhow)

Dutch Masters: The Age of Rembrandt (but I LOVE Dutch painting...love it. So this was a joy to watch.)

Edited by Debbie in OR

The only ones I've actually viewed/listened to are a couple by Prof. Vandiver, "Odyssey of Homer" and "Aeneid of Virgil." My 13yodd and I have really enjoyed these. These are the lectures that hooked us on the Teaching Company.

13 yodd has also listened to "Consciousness and It's Implications" and watched "Understanding the Brain." I've heard nothing but high praise from her.

I have lots of them, and never had a bad one yet, I think you should just pick whatever topic appeals to you

Marie-Louise

:iagree: The only time I really disliked a set was years ago, a British prof's series on the New Testament dealt only with the historicity or lack thereof of the books, and barely a word about their weighty meaning. Talk about missing the forest for the trees! I returned the set and complained, and they refunded my money.

All the rest have been fantastic, just to a greater or lesser degree. :001_smile: Recent titles for me:

- The Long 19th Century by Robert I. Weiner

- Must History Repeat the Great Conflicts of this Century? by Joseph S. Nye, Jr. (my favorite of the group)

- Consciousness and Its Implications by Daniel N. Robinson

- The Ethics of Aristotle by Fr. Joseph Koterski, SJ

They have a comparative religion course (or something similarly named) taught by Dr. James from the University of Richmond. I had him as a professor my sophomore year and I learned so much from him. He was such a kind man and so willing to discuss things. I'm planning to buy that course for next semester for my high shcool kids.

Just for the sheer pleasure, not based on any lesson plans, what is your favorite Teaching Company set of lectures.

I am getting ready to buy some more.

We really enjoyed the audio version of Rome and the Barbarians a few years back. DH liked Europe and the Wars of Religion, but I didn't hear this one.