Menu

Planning to use TT - what to use in K-2??

So, I need suggestions for what to use in math before TT starts :) I found A+ interactive (Tutorsoft) and it had decent reviews. I'd like to keep with the interactive, audio lesson format. However, I am most concerned with a smooth transition to TT in 3rd grade so I'm open to other things.

Agreed. For that age do not use independent material.  They need interaction and scaffolding and consistency and support.  Focus on the concepts first and foremost.  You might look at doing something like CLE if you would prefer something less teacher intense but get and use the TM, get the flash cards and definitely use manipulatives to demonstrate the lessons.  Work through the material WITH your kiddo.  They need to touch and see and hear math.  Play a lot of mathy games.  Watch math based videos off of you tube.  CLE is cheap to try out so it wouldn't be a big investment just to give it a go.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

You could add in something like Prodigy math or CTC math for additional audio/video input but I would not make that the primary means of learning math for a very young child.  

FWIW, many 2nd graders are able to use TT 3rd grade level.  Give the placement test when you think your child may be ready, regardless of what the level states on the book.  I would still also incorporate mathy games and practical application math alongside TT, though.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

You might look at doing something like CLE if you would prefer something less teacher intense but get and use the TM, get the flash cards and definitely use manipulatives to demonstrate the lessons.  

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to the link you added and I didn't see any manipulatives that go with CLE. Do you just add your own? Any suggestions?

McRuffy, its almost seamless to move to TT. Definitely do the placement tests for TT though, my kids have all been able to test into TT3 after McRuffy 1st.

I will advise you not to let TT take you out of the equation. You still have to make sure they are doing what they should and are truely grasping the concepts. Most times when I hear someone say TT failed them, they thought TT was meant to free them completely from the kid's math. Have them watch the lesson, do the workbook or write every problem out, ask you to check it, have them fix it then enter their answers into the computer. Its not hard or time consuming, and keeps kids from slipping through the cracks of the program.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm
  • Like 2