Menu

mathcounts questions

(Please forgive me if these questions are answered elsewhere, as I am certain they must be; I searched but couldn't find answers, so I'm asking again.)

I'm interested in MathCOUNTS for middle school kids who are (A) relatively strong math students, (B) but not particularly interested in math, but © *highly* motivated by competition. As in, they will push themselves so much harder for a contest than I ever would for "regular school" - they do not always win, but they sometimes do, and I would like to get them excited about math.

1. As a not-exceptionally-mathy person, can I start a team by myself? If so, do the kids meet together? And solve problems? (I've heard of math circles, but am not familiar with how they look at the practical level.)

2. Is MathCOUNTS what I'm looking for, or are there other math competitions for regular kids (not geniuses)? These particular kids enjoy things like the National Latin Exam, Spelling Bee, etc. - that's what I'm going for here.

3. How do they practice? I know there are pdfs on the website - just go over those? (I sound so dense, but I'm just having a hard time imagining. I do have "math people" willing to help them, and I'm decent at laying out the snacks - tell me what else to do.)

4. If the kids are grade-advanced, do I enter them as the grade they would be in ps, or the grade they're actually doing at home? Are there special requirements for home schooled teams? Up to 10 kids can be on a team, is that correct? But only 4 compete?

Thank you for any experiences you can share - I do so appreciate this board!

Continental Math League has two levels -one for kids who are more advanced, one for kids who are more average for grade, but still enjoy challenging problems. I use CML for my math club because I can enter kids in grades we don't have a team as individuals.

• Like 1

I've been coaching a Mathcounts team for six years now and it's been a lot of fun. I have both above average and just average (and below) in our group.

(Please forgive me if these questions are answered elsewhere, as I am certain they must be; I searched but couldn't find answers, so I'm asking again.)

I'm interested in MathCOUNTS for middle school kids who are (A) relatively strong math students, (B) but not particularly interested in math, but © *highly* motivated by competition. As in, they will push themselves so much harder for a contest than I ever would for "regular school" - they do not always win, but they sometimes do, and I would like to get them excited about math.

One of the things I love about Mathcounts is that once kids get exposed, then often they are "inspired" to study and learn more for the next year.

1. As a not-exceptionally-mathy person, can I start a team by myself? If so, do the kids meet together? And solve problems? (I've heard of math circles, but am not familiar with how they look at the practical level.)

Sure you can start a team.

IF you have at least four students that will be meeting together in person, then you can sign up for the Mathcounts Clulb in a Box which is free. It is full of fun activities and ideas to use. These fit a range of students.

I use the club resources from this year as well as previous years for much of my work. I also use old Mathcounts tests, Mathcounts minis (google it) and the book  Competition Math for Middle Schoolers.

2. Is MathCOUNTS what I'm looking for, or are there other math competitions for regular kids (not geniuses)? These particular kids enjoy things like the National Latin Exam, Spelling Bee, etc. - that's what I'm going for here.

I find my "regular" kids have a lot of fun with Mathcounts and it teaches them great math. I've taken several good students to state who are only on a prealgebra level - they don't have to be way advanced in math.

3. How do they practice? I know there are pdfs on the website - just go over those? (I sound so dense, but I'm just having a hard time imagining. I do have "math people" willing to help them, and I'm decent at laying out the snacks - tell me what else to do.)

See above. Feel free to private message me for samples of what I do.

4. If the kids are grade-advanced, do I enter them as the grade they would be in ps, or the grade they're actually doing at home? Are there special requirements for home schooled teams? Up to 10 kids can be on a team, is that correct? But only 4 compete?

For Mathcounts, kids only have three years of eligibility and it is only for middle-schoolers. IF they plan to graduate

early, then I'd have a hard time calling them a younger grade. If a 12 year old is simply working ahead in math, then I'd have no problem calling them a 7th grader.

There is a special form homeschoolers must fill out. It basically says that you are legally a homeschooler and live in the geographic region you plan on competing in.

For any school (public, private, homeschool), you can bring 10 students and they all compete. You name four of them to the team. Everyone takes the sprint and target round tests. The four team members take the team test together and  it counts toward the team score. The other six individuals take the team test "for fun" and it is not scored.

There are both individual and team awards. The top students (individual scores) compete in the countdown round. There are awards to the top individuals.

The team score is calculated by averaging the individual scores of the four team members and then adding the team test score. There are awards to the top teams as well.

You can get a spot to state as either a top individual or a top team.

I love Mathcounts. Feel free to ask more questions.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 1

Another coach (4 years) and MC fan here.  They are very friendly to homeschoolers.  Other math competitions to consider for middle school students is Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle School (MOEMS).  Those exams are shorter and easier and are taken once a month.   You can also use the as preparation for MC.  

To prepare you can meet as often as once a month to several times a week, whatever you have time for.  You can review old exams, or use the MathCounts minis which combine a written problem set with a video by Richard Rucszyk.

When parents ask about their students who are younger than middle school by age, I tell them about the 3 year eligibility rule, and they usually opt to participate when they are actually in that age range.  It's better competitively to have as much practice and math experience as possible.  

You can have anywhere from 1 to 10 students participate.  If there are fewer than 4 students they will likely only compete as individuals.  If there are more than 4, then 4 of them will compete in the Team Round, and the rest will compete as individuals (Sprint and Target Rounds only).  

You can spend the summer getting your materials ready, and then in the fall registration begins.  

It's a lot of fun and worth all the work you put into it.   Your students are fortunate to have you as a coach!