Menu

Ramadan Gift Basket ideas

Hi,

Looking for ideas for Ramadan gift baskets. I have 3 boys: 4, 9 and 13.

I'd like to include a couple of books in each of the baskets. Besides books, what other ideas do you have?

The new Curious George Ramadan book is going into the 4 year old's basket. I'm really at a loss of what to put in for the 13 year old. Any book with a spiritual theme would be good, doesn't have to specific to Islam but not geared toward any other specific religion either. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but my daughter read Ben Mikaelsen's award-winning "Touching Spirit Bear" about that age. The focus is on the concepts of using restorative justice to break the cycle of hate and retribution and promote healing, forgiveness, self-control, responsibility to and empathy for others, self-reliance, survival in the wilderness, family relationships, personal transformation, etc. I think it makes a fabulous springboard for discussion of many spiritual issues. 

http://www.benmikaelsen.com/#!touching-spirit-bear/c1m6a    

and educational resources http://www.benmikaelsen.com/#!touching-spirit-bear-lesson-plans/c1zty

As to whether it has a focus on a specific religion, here's what Shmoop says about the spirituality theme: http://www.shmoop.com/touching-spirit-bear/spirituality-theme.html

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

My both sons love Kapla . The can build a lot of things with it . They have build even a mosque with it . Smart games are also good toys . For Ramadan I am also going to buy books about the Prophets . I like your idea of gift baskets during Ramadan . You can also put crafts supplies so they can make something in regard to Ramadan . Most of people do that at al3ied. Love your idea !

Edited by visitor

Are these for at the beginning of Ramdan or for Eid??

For at the start of Ramdan, I always get them some new surprises to pull out to keep them busy during the day. Bunch'ems have been a hit. Some new small lego kits. It will be too hot here for much outside during the day, but maybe some sidewalk chalk etc? We like Zoobs also. They have Zoobs jr for the 4yo. Some glow in the dark stuff from the dollar store for nights we go to the masjid for iftar.

For books, Under the Ramadan Moon is a favorite here.

This Nat Geo book is a favorite with my 12yo: http://smile.amazon.com/Inventions-Awesome-Civilization-National-Geographic/dp/142631258X/ref=pd_sim_14_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=61ULe8qqTTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR127%2C160_&refRID=1CXXDJJJ6XWGSEQMN79A . (lots of science related stuff and Engineering.)

I was disappointed when I ordered some other Ramdan, Islam or Eid books and found either errors or misinformation. Seems some were not edited, or were written as "cultural" books with out checking if they were religiously correct if you know what I mean. I got some dual english/arabic books from DHs last trip to Lebanon, the english level is a bit higher, but they are geared towards kids. Stories of the Prophets, Islamic History etc. 

• Like 2

Um_2_4 can I use the 1001 inventions book for my 7 year old boy ? He loves inventions especially related to the golden age

Totally! My kids love it. There is a website to go with it and an adult version of the book. www.1001inventions.com 

There are some videos on there too. I haven't viewed them all.

• Like 1

Thanks I will buy it for DS then . He already wanted to do more with STEM. Could you recommand the adult version as well for me :-)

Oh yes. It is quite a volume. I heard Nat Geo is going to come out with some follow up books also. I think the 1st one was about Ibn Al-Haytham.

• Like 2

"Masjid blocks"

For your older kids, Layla and Ahmad Deen. Maybe Ms. Marvel?

We loved Jannah Jewels (the books needed to be proofread again before being published, buuuuut the stories are great and solidly Islamic) as read alouds, so these might be good for everyone.

There are tons of great coloring books.

These are very simple, very sweet little books.

I second 1001... The Genius of Islam is another good one, and Goodword books publishes something similar as well.

DVDs:

Great Women of Islam

The Last Prophet

Before The Light

Salman

Any of the Zaky and Friends (there are others)

CDs

I look I see and I Look, I See 2 are both *excellent*

And for your youngest set, it doesn't get better than Noor Kids <3

Oh! And how about special pens and journals for Ramadan? Maybe the little (short) moleskins so that there's ONLY room for Ramadan.

Not exactly a spiritual theme, but what about the young reader's edition of Malala's book for the 13 yo? Or something else that's focused on thinking about injustice in the world for that age group like A Long Walk to Water or something. Or maybe that's the wrong direction... too much outward focused and not enough inward?

I had no idea this was a tradition. I love the things you get to learn on this forum.

• Like 4

It's generally not a tradition, but one I'd like to start with my kids. We like to use Ramadan as a time of self-reflection and new "things" might help us get interested in just that, especially for my older one as he navigates being a teen and growing into his identity. 

• Like 3

"Masjid blocks"

For your older kids, Layla and Ahmad Deen. Maybe Ms. Marvel?

We loved Jannah Jewels (the books needed to be proofread again before being published, buuuuut the stories are great and solidly Islamic) as read alouds, so these might be good for everyone.

There are tons of great coloring books.

These are very simple, very sweet little books.

I second 1001... The Genius of Islam is another good one, and Goodword books publishes something similar as well.

DVDs:

Great Women of Islam

The Last Prophet

Before The Light

Salman

Any of the Zaky and Friends (there are others)

CDs

I look I see and I Look, I See 2 are both *excellent*

And for your youngest set, it doesn't get better than Noor Kids <3

What are the Ahmad Deen stories about and which age? I couldn't gather much from the link.

I would like good books for my 15 yr old son and 13 yr old DD.

What are the Ahmad Deen stories about and which age? I couldn't gather much from the link.

I would like good books for my 15 yr old son and 13 yr old DD.

They would be youngish for them. Quick, easy reads, in any case.

They (the kids) solve little mysteries while learning about other cultures and going about the business of being Muslim kids. There a little pictures sprinkled throughout, as well as relevant hadith and AQ quotes.

Very similar to Jannah Jewels, as a matter of fact. Or visa-versa, since these were written first.