Menu

Math experts-- Saxon Algebra 2 as an Honors Class

The problem here is going to be that Saxon is pretty much incompatible with other programs.

You could accelerate it and add proper geometry (be careful not to overlap with Saxon Advanced), or add some content from a college algebra or probability text.

You might want to pick a few topics from the Saxon and get an AoPS text that covers those topics.  Cover the AoPS chapters either after the specific topics in Saxon are done or at the end of the year, once the whole Saxon course is done.  You will have to accelerate Saxon a bit to do this.

No clue if this is good enough for an honor's course, but I used Saxon Algebra 2 and AoPS Volume 1: The Basics.  I'm leaning towards yes because many of the topics covered in the AoPS book were covered in my son's College Algebra and Trig course.

And that AoPS book isn't too huge.  So it's doable with Saxon A2.

• Like 1

No clue if this is good enough for an honor's course, but I used Saxon Algebra 2 and AoPS Volume 1: The Basics. I'm leaning towards yes because many of the topics covered in the AoPS book were covered in my son's College Algebra and Trig course.

And that AoPS book isn't too huge. So it's doable with Saxon A2.

Yes, this would work. You could also use AOPS number theory or counting & probability - two short course that could run in parallel at a slower pace.

I haven't yet met a fan of both AOPS and Saxon, but there's no reason one can't exist...

• Like 1

Yes, this would work. You could also use AOPS number theory or counting & probability - two short course that could run in parallel at a slower pace.

I haven't yet met a fan of both AOPS and Saxon, but there's no reason one can't exist...

I'm a fan. I love AOPS for children who love its approach. As a teacher I was taught to teach using the discovery approach. I enjoyed using it with my oldest Ds and we only stopped bc he needed me to work with him and, while I enjoyed it, my youngest was too young for me to spend the kind of time I would have needed to. I was sad.

After of years of thinking I'd hate Saxon, I seriously get shivers if drlight using it for my dd.

We used some AoPS prior.  My son liked it, but the intensity was too much all the time.  He was young though so it might have been in part just not having the patience to work through difficult problems all.the.time. 

I do think he liked Saxon because he found it easy.  He liked that it just got right to the point and introduced the concepts quickly.

No clue if this is good enough for an honor's course, but I used Saxon Algebra 2 and AoPS Volume 1: The Basics.  I'm leaning towards yes because many of the topics covered in the AoPS book were covered in my son's College Algebra and Trig course.

And that AoPS book isn't too huge.  So it's doable with Saxon A2.

Honestly I think this is one of the ideal ways to enrich almost any basal curriculum. I would totally call that an honors class.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I know there are many Algebra 2 curriculums.  I also know that many people dislike Saxon strongly.   I have just found Saxon to work for my not so mathy kids.  The review really helps them review and know the concepts.  If I had a mathy kid we would go a different route.  I will look up AoPS.  

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I know there are many Algebra 2 curriculums.  I also know that many people dislike Saxon strongly.   I have just found Saxon to work for my not so mathy kids.  The review really helps them review and know the concepts.  If I had a mathy kid we would go a different route.  I will look up AoPS.  

I really like Saxon. 

• Like 3

If they are not-mathy kids, AOPS would probably not be the best fit. I don't really know what else you would do to make it an honors class, though -- because of the incremental instruction of Saxon, it is difficult to supplement.

• Like 1