Menu

Accelerating Sequential Spelling

Jackie

We are just starting out with Sequential Spelling level 2 for DD. She learns very quickly, and I can see her getting bored if I don't find a way to accelerate. The company only suggests accelerating by doing more lists in a day, but still doing all the lists. Has anyone accelerated by compacting the program in some way?

I accelerated SS by doing more than one list per day from different spots in the program, so there would be a whole day between related word lists.

Also Sequential Spelling for Adults is just a condensed version of SS if that interests you.

• Like 1

I assumed the adults version was written to the student. Knowing it is still written to include an instructor, this might be what I want. Thank you for this information.

I was thinking of doing two lists a day, but it would be a more significant time commitment. While spelling comes fairly easily to her, handwriting is slow and painstaking, and the lists are doubling as her handwriting practice. She could move faster in spelling if I let her type, but then I'd have to add separate handwriting back in, so it's not a net win. Gotta love asynchronicity!

SS has two suggestions on its site about how to do this and I let my daughter choose. You can either do multiple lists per day or just skip lists. Basically they give the max amount of practice needed and you select lists based on how much practice your kid needs. We do every other list with extra practice if certain words are missed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can do 2 lists in one day or even 3 in one day. 

You can use the Adult version.

You can skip lists.

Another idea... give all four lists in one day. I give the first day words to dd as they are and she writes them in her notebook. After this if she doesn't have errors we get the dry erase board and colored markers. She writes the words as I call them out again color coding them. I call out the words from days 2-4 also and she just adds the new endings. So she'll write -in, next add p- (pin), then add s- (spin), then add -s (spins), next she'll erase her -s and add -ning (spinning). Since she's only having to write the additional letter(s) this moves really fast. If she had errors in the first list at the beginning of the lesson I stop there and give a second lesson later in the day then we do two lessons the next day. 

I hope that made sense. If not I can try to explain better when I'm not half asleep and heading off to bed.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Thanks all.

I ordered the adult version and we're going to try that. Compacting usually works better than straight accelerating through for us. If I'm guessing wrong there and it moves too fast, I'll come back to this list to remind myself of how others have accelerated and switch to the regular series.