Menu

I want to learn about Vikings

Moxie

I've been watching the History channel show, Vikings, and I realize I know next to nothing about them but they seem pretty important, historically. Can anyone give me some resources to learn more?

I'm fascinated by the idea of a major religion dying out. What was it like to be in that last group of people still worshiping Thor?

What about SWBs adult books? I suppose that would be a good place to start?

We own The Historical Atlas of the Viking World.

My husband says that the religion didn't completely die out and that there are still people worshipping Thor. He says that you need to read The Prose Edda. It is one of thr most comprehensive written collections of religious stories of Asatru, the Old Norse religion.

He jokes that our boys are part Viking.

We own The Historical Atlas of the Viking World.

My husband says that the religion didn't completely die out and that there are still people worshipping Thor. He says that you need to read The Prose Edda. It is one of thr most comprehensive written collections of religious stories of Asatru, the Old Norse religion.

He jokes that our boys are part Viking.

Your husband is correct. There are several Heathens on this board, myself included.

• Like 1

Would you mind elaborating? I have so many questions!

I suspect it would derail the thread. Modern Heathens are not, in fact, vikings. But, you can PM me or start a spin-off thread.

Edited by Ravin

There have been quite a few religions that have wholly, or mostly, died out.  I'd go so far to say that it is a fairly common phenomena.

You could read the Viking sagas.  And any reasonable library will have some books on Vikings.

There are quite a few websites with information too.  Some of it is for kids, but those can have some great pictures.  The BBC history website used to have a fun Viking section.  Many of the rebuilt Viking settlements that are open to the public also have associated websites.  Most aren't North American but this one in Newfoundland has some interesting information.