Menu

Anyone using the LoseIt app?

Sarah CB

Yes, Sarah.  (But, not at the moment)  I started using it when we bought the on-line Black Friday special for their upgrade (all the bells and whistles) Nov. 2014.     With my new attitude, purpose/plan, etc. and using the app, I found I was losing weight.  Also, I exercised and lifted light weights. 

But, my Dad passed away and one thing led to another.  I gained it back.

I'm now going back to Lose It (but the starter version as I don' want to pay $40) for it or use MFP which so many others here recommend. 

It really is a good tool and you can sync your smartphone and pc!  So, if you're out to lunch you can enter your info. 

It's a pain to "begin" the process with either app b/c it is entering A LOT of info. by hand.  But, it's definitely worth it.   MFP (My Fitness Pal) will let you use a bar code reader and that saves a ton of time.

Still, to create a meal on the app takes time.  My nutritionist showed me how to do it but haven't done it yet.  So, I make such and thus casseroles on a regular basis (soups, etc) and I key in each ingredient into my recipe.  Then I assign a portion.  Each time I eat 1/2, 1, 2, whatever portions the nutrients are calculated - based on a single serving.

HTH!

Your post has convicted me that I need to start again.   THANKS!

I did for a while. It was free, but the PP makes me think that has changed?  Anyway, I used it for a while. Then I heard people using My Fitness Pal so for a few weeks I used them side by side. Yes, I actually did both.  Over time I found myself naturally gravitating to MFP so I made the switch.  I'm not actually certain what it was about MFP that made me like it better, but that is how it played out.

MFP has also changed over time. It now has advertising embedded etc. But it is ignorable. And the app is free, so what do I expect?

But there wasn't a huge difference between the two. In fact, I have been thinking about checking out Lose it again, just to see what I think about both now.  But, at this point, anything that requires me to pay is not going to interest me.

I go out of my way to use my apps as anonymously as possible. I don't share my info and haven't signed up for any groups or anything, and I unsubscribe to emails. I don't like that sort of thing.

I like Lose It.  I haven't tried MFP.  Once you have lots of food inputed it gets easier.  I can go back to a previous meal and copy it to that day.  I have the same breakfast daily so this is helpful.  I have spent time figuring up details on my own recipe and then inputting it.  Again, took time, but once there I can find it easily.  And my misfit tracker syncs with it!  

I used it for a long time and thought it was good. I liked it more than My Fitness Pal. My father got me a Jawbone and I learned a lot more about myself from that then Lose It app. I believe you can still buy the old Jawbones for $30 on Amazon. I recommend that over the Lose It app, but I did enjoy the Lose It app.

• Like 1

I use LoseIt. You can use the free or premium version. The main difference is with premium you can: create challenges, log food in advance, set goals for specific nutrients (tracking macros or limiting sodium) or measurements or a couple other things, they also have insights. The insights tell you things such as that you always go over on your calories on days you eat a high carb breakfast.

I got it for $20 for the year, I think it's worth it for that, not for $40. I used the free version and lost 30 pounds last year. I upgraded when my weight loss stalled out.

You can still participate in challenges with the free version but I do like created my own as a way to challenge myself to eat more vegetables or be more active. I like LoseIt better than MFP, but they are both good.

Thanks everyone.  I've been using it for a week now and really like logging all my food and watching how exercise impacts calories.  I dusted off my fitbit and started using that again as well - it's nice that the Lose It app and fitbit work so well together.  

Who was it on the boards who lost a bunch of weight and still consistently logs food?  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I've been using it for a week now and really like logging all my food and watching how exercise impacts calories.  I dusted off my fitbit and started using that again as well - it's nice that the Lose It app and fitbit work so well together.  

Who was it on the boards who lost a bunch of weight and still consistently logs food?  

I think there are a lot of us.  I prob lost about 40lbs and I still weigh, measure and log my food. I don't know if that counts as 'a bunch'. I also track my water, with an app called "Add Water".

I think there are a lot of us.  I prob lost about 40lbs and I still weigh, measure and log my food. I don't know if that counts as 'a bunch'. I also track my water, with an app called "Add Water".

Was there anything that helped you stay so consistent?  It's only been a week for me, but it feels more manageable than anything I've done in the past.  I'm just worried that the novelty will wear off and I'll stop logging or stop weighing.  

Was there anything that helped you stay so consistent?  It's only been a week for me, but it feels more manageable than anything I've done in the past.  I'm just worried that the novelty will wear off and I'll stop logging or stop weighing.  

I'm very good with routine. I weigh myself every day, I eat pretty much the same sort of things every day, or, really more like every week.  If I get off routine things go to hell, lol. But I generally have the same breakfast, a similar sort of lunch, and I have some regular dinner choices. I personally don't eat what my kids eat, but that works in this house.

And yes, sometimes I do get off schedule and I just get back on. If I forget for a day, I just sit down and try to recreate as best I can what I ate. Then I try to do a better job the next day. But, again, at this point it is automatic. If there is something that I really want, I have it, but the deal is that I have to weigh or measure it and log it. It keeps me honest.

I'm very good with routine. I weigh myself every day, I eat pretty much the same sort of things every day, or, really more like every week. If I get off routine things go to hell, lol. But I generally have the same breakfast, a similar sort of lunch, and I have some regular dinner choices. I personally don't eat what my kids eat, but that works in this house.

And yes, sometimes I do get off schedule and I just get back on. If I forget for a day, I just sit down and try to recreate as best I can what I ate. Then I try to do a better job the next day. But, again, at this point it is automatic. If there is something that I really want, I have it, but the deal is that I have to weigh or measure it and log it. It keeps me honest.

Thanks! I wasn't the person who asked but this helps me too.