Menu

Has anyone switched from Singapore to Horizons?

I'm considering changing math programs. My ds is in 3B and although he is doing fine with it, I sense that it would be more beneficial for him to have more consistent review of the material he is learning. I've never even seen Horizons until this year when I started using K with my Ker, and I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying it (ok, ok, I know it is only k, but still....)

So, I downloaded the placement test, and I fear my ds will need to go back to the 2rd grade level because there are just some concepts in the 3rd grade placement test that we haven't even touched yet...area, volume, estimation, ratios. Not basics of mathematics, but concepts that we haven't touched at all yet. And then I look at the grade 4 readiness test and see reducing of fractions, mixed numbers, more fraction computations....certainly things he hasn't even touched in SM.

Is there enough review of the previous concepts that I could go ahead with grade 4 and supplement with Key to Fractions (I have most of the workbooks here already)? Do I back up to gr 2 and 3 and race through the concepts he hasn't done? Any advise or warnings? Any help would be great.

I started out with Singapore in K and 1st and finally switched to Horizons in 2nd grade. My boys don't like math but they both have tested well each year by using Horizons. It only goes up until 6th grade...wish it would continue in upper grades. Singapore was difficult for my kids to get into and only created frustration for us all. I hated math and I didn't want to even start class every day when we used it. I do know many that have had great results with both so it's really up to you and your kids.

I definitely wouldn't go with the 2nd grade books. What I would suggest is to either just order the 4th grade books and decide if that is enough after you receive them. If you think he needs some of the review from 3rd grade, you could try just ordering 3rd grade bk 2.

The concepts you listed are covered in very simple ways in the 3rd grade bk. If your child is strong in math, I think you'll have no problems.

I use both Horizons and Singapore Math and I definitely prefer Horizons. It's a good, solid math program. The only reason I use Singapore is to introduce more mental math.

I know a LOT of people on the boards LOVE Singapore and think it is a stand-alone program. I just don't happen to be one of them. Singapore does not provide my dc with enough review.

Good luck with your decision!

I used Horizons with my son who was coming from 3rd grade in PS and he went right back to 3rd grade Horizons. I would definitely recommend at least book 3B to start. I don't recall a lot of area, volume, estimaton or Ratios in the 3A book and what little there may have been was just "getting ready for" type stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Out of curiousity, where was he in his Singapore Math?

We switched from Singapore to Horizon last year. Horizon seems to be about 6 months ahead most programs IMO. I would start with 3rd grade book 2. It would be better to start him a little "lighter" with some new concepts, increase confidence while getting him used to a different format, then to start out with mostly new material.

This is a great suggestion. FWIW...We originally started with Singapore - my ds hated it. We switched to Horizons, and have never looked back.

Krista