Menu

Leary about a homeschool buyer

Yesterday I listed some Latin books I had for $125 on homeschoolclassifieds.com . Today, I got an offer and the person said they wanted to mail me a cashiers check so please send them my address. SO I did. They emailed right back saying thank you...it would be on it's way and please don't worry about shipping because they had their own shipping company who would come to my house and get it. WHAT?! I am actually nervous now, for some reason, that they have my address. The person (no name given) does not use any grammar skills at all when writing and did not give me their address or even name. I've emailed back and asked them for the information, but so far have not gotten a response. Does anyone out there have any advice or experience with someone wanting to send their own shipping company? The email address started with johnstev . Thanks.

Monica

we had someone buy a vintage car from us long ago who sent a company to pick it up to send overseas. it was weird but we had our cash...

but books? You can arrange for UPS and USPS to pick up at your house...so perhaps they are doing that?

it's weird. definitely would keep the doors locked and be leary of strange happenings.

I'm sorry but this sounds downright scary to me. This does not sound legitimate.

If you've already given them your physical address and they have not responded to your email request for more information, I would contact the police and then your DH. If he is not at home, ask him to come home.

Not to be an alarmist, but for all you know, they are enroute to your house NOW.

It's what is referred to as a 411 or Nigerian scam. 411 is the Nigeria area code. But the scam is common pretty much everywhere now.

There is really nothing to be scared of. No one is going to come after you. They do not want the books.

The usual story is that they are going to send you a cashier check, certified check, or money order. Then they ask that you reimburse them an amount of overpayment immediately and allow their own shipper to pick up the items. They count on your sending them payment before you present their counterfeit payment to bank.

Oftentimes their grammar and usage will give them away as scammers.

after reading your responses. I was hoping someone could tell me they knew these people and it's OKAY. I just locked my door! It's unsettling, but what can they do? Why would they pick me to come bother? They don't know who I am, what I look like, or if I own anything valuable. It's just weird. I have emailed them again and told them not to bother unless I can ship it to them. I really hesitated to even send them my address when I read their horrible grammar. I mean who could learn Latin when they can't write in English...is what I was thinking. Hopefully, it's just a true homeschooler. I'll update if I hear back.

Thanks.

Monica

I've seen those emails before when I sell an item on Ebay and I recognize them right away (and ignore them). It did not look as suspicious as that, but the grammar was bad and no punctuaion marks at all. You are probably right, though. Who'd a thought they'd be on a homeschool book sale board? I hope they do not send me the money at all!

It's what is referred to as a 411 or Nigerian scam. 411 is the Nigeria area code. But the scam is common pretty much everywhere now.

There is really nothing to be scared of. No one is going to come after you. They do not want the books.

The usual story is that they are going to send you a cashier check, certified check, or money order. Then they ask that you reimburse them an amount of overpayment immediately and allow their own shipper to pick up the items. They count on your sending them payment before you present their counterfeit payment to bank.

You know, I actually feel better hearing that it's probably just a scam. I've never heard of this scam. Of course, I only buy from businesses or ebay, so I've never experienced this.

I was selling a number of items, and the person wrote back saying they wanted x, which was about 95% of the items. They never signed with a name. They insisted on a check. Fortunately I clued in before giving them my address.....I reminded them that it was either paypal or a money order, as I had stated. I never heard back from them. The give away was the lack of commeradery that we homeschoolers have with each other, even though we have never met. No closing salutation or name.....hmmmm. So, thankfully, they just went away. I'm sure yours will too. If they should send you a check, I would just return it to them.

You will probably get the check in the mail or over night. Take it to the bank and verify that it is real. Then send email back to them saying my bank has check and they will be referring you to the FBI. I have had this happen to me 4 times now. Trying to sell items on craigslist. If they send it through snail mail it is a federal violation. I hope for your sake it is all legit but be prepared for it not to be.

I had the same experience as Heather. I sell on Homeschoolclassifieds and I got an email from someone with poor grammar skills who supposedly wnated to buy a huge number of my books. Sounds weird, but I could tell by the way te email was formatted that it wasn't legitimate, so I just deleted it. I highly doubt you're in danger. Take heart!

Sounds very familiar! I think I was just too glad to have a buyer for my books I've been trying to sell for quite awhile. The first email sounded totally legit....."are these still available?" That is something I would say, so I thought nothing of it and was so glad to have a buyer. The next one seemed suspicious, but I did not want to lose my customer and I really did not think it was a scammer at that point....not until they said they'd come pick it up. How ridiculous. I would consider myself an old pro at buying and selling on Ebay and Vegsource. This was my first listing on HSC and the first time I fell for something. I wonder if this is more prevalent on the HSC site than Vegsource?

Thank everyone for their input. I was nervous at first until you all mentioned the common scam. I emailed the person and told them I'm selling the books to someone else so no need to send the money. They sent me some choppy English response and I'm not even sure what it means, but I'm not going to reply to any more emails.

Wouldn't someone want to my my Latin Road to English Grammar Volume 2 for only $125 ?! :O).

Monica

FWIW - I've been buying and selling on homeschoolclassifieds for a while - maybe two years and the email I recieved today was the first scam I've ever received off that website. I have purchased or sold 30+ items over the last two years without any problems at all.

It does not sound like you are in any physical danger. Get the check to the bank, and have it verified before you do anything more.

I am sorry you are dealing with this :grouphug:

Please do not take check to the bank! If this is a scammer, some of them are pretty talented at counterfeiting so it is not obvious at first glance. The bank will just credit your account and then charge you back plus the returned check fee when they can't collect on the check.

Google 411 or Nigerian scams to satisfy yourself that you are in no physical danger. Many people have made a hobby of wasting the scammers' time.

Don't bother with giving the fake check to post office or FBI. They'll toss it in the trash.

I placed homeschool book ad on craigslist this past summer and was contacted in droves by the scammers. It was fun for awhile to string them along. One spent about $70 in FedEx charges before he gave up on me as a revenue source.

At my husband's business, for years he has received occasional snail mailed Nigerian scam letters. They've been around a long time but with the internet, they have a much larger pool of potential victims.

Well, I had noticed on HSC a warning about something like this but hadn't had anything like this happen until today. What got my attention was the broken English and they were wanting to buy about 35 books from my list from E to N and all books starting with those letters had been copied and pasted. I thought why nothing from A or Z? This must be one of those scams. :D

:iagree:

I only accept paypal or cash if i don't know you.

And recently i has someone like this email about buying my pda phone.

I told him no cashiers checks. Of course he offered to pay extra/money was no object.

He then sent me a FAKE paypal confirmation. eeessh

I think it was maybe dateline that did a story on the nigerian scammers a few months back??

It's a numbers game for them. They send out a lot of such requests. I don't think they ever mentioned anyone coming to anyone's house. They are really out to see who they can get to send them money or goods.

Please do not take check to the bank! If this is a scammer, some of them are pretty talented at counterfeiting so it is not obvious at first glance. The bank will just credit your account and then charge you back plus the returned check fee when they can't collect on the check.

Google 411 or Nigerian scams to satisfy yourself that you are in no physical danger. Many people have made a hobby of wasting the scammers' time.

Don't bother with giving the fake check to post office or FBI. They'll toss it in the trash.

I placed homeschool book ad on craigslist this past summer and was contacted in droves by the scammers. It was fun for awhile to string them along. One spent about $70 in FedEx charges before he gave up on me as a revenue source.

At my husband's business, for years he has received occasional snail mailed Nigerian scam letters. They've been around a long time but with the internet, they have a much larger pool of potential victims.

:iagree: She knows more than me. Ignore my previous post.

Yesterday I listed some Latin books I had for $125 on homeschoolclassifieds.com . Today, I got an offer and the person said they wanted to mail me a cashiers check so please send them my address. SO I did. They emailed right back saying thank you...it would be on it's way and please don't worry about shipping because they had their own shipping company who would come to my house and get it. WHAT?! I am actually nervous now, for some reason, that they have my address. The person (no name given) does not use any grammar skills at all when writing and did not give me their address or even name. I've emailed back and asked them for the information, but so far have not gotten a response. Does anyone out there have any advice or experience with someone wanting to send their own shipping company? The email address started with johnstev . Thanks.

Monica

I didn't read the other responses, but this is a scam. The same person emailed me @ some books I have listed there. I wouldn't worry too much if you mailed them your address, just DON"T cash the check and if they actually send you one, I'd bring it and the emails to the police.

You will probably get the check in the mail or over night. Take it to the bank and verify that it is real. Then send email back to them saying my bank has check and they will be referring you to the FBI. I have had this happen to me 4 times now. Trying to sell items on craigslist. If they send it through snail mail it is a federal violation. I hope for your sake it is all legit but be prepared for it not to be.

Yup. We've had this with craigslist too. We never got the check,though :). In fact, we've listed ONE item on CL and gottten hit with 3 or 4 different scams. All of which could be googled. You might want to google the person's name or an address, if there is one.