Menu

AP Exam paperwork questions

Although the AP test coordinator should know your state homeschool code, just in case they don't, you can find it on page 19 of the coordinators manual found at this link:

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/coordinate

Also, if you want to send a score report to a college for free, you'll want to know the college code for that. Many colleges are listed in the student booklet, but not all. If your student is not a senior already accepted into a college, I wouldn't do this. It isn't expensive to send a score report later and if you don't do it automatically with the test, you can pick and choose which scores you send later. For admissions applications, usually it works to self-report AP scores and then send them after the student has accepted the admissions offer so that they can get the course credits. When to send the AP scores does depend on the college. Some want the official scores sent in as part of the application process.

As I recall, your child should be given their student manual with their identification code on it once all of their testing is completed. But, just in case the school holds on to this, they should write their identification code down and put it somewhere for safe keeping. You'll need it to set up an online account to be able to see their test scores. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait to get them in via snail-mail.

Your student will need an official picture ID.  If your child doesn't have a drivers license or passport, it may be worth it to go to your BMV and get an official state ID. Other than that, it's just the normal name and address type questions.

• Like 2

Who is the testing coordinator? 

This is not as straight forward for homeschoolers it seems. 

At our location "testing coordinator" or something similar is one of the titles of an employee at the school. She is the person I contacted about dd taking the exam. She sets up the exams, orders the tests, etc.

If you call the school and ask for the AP testing coordinator,  someone should be able to direct you to the correct person. In some cases the school website lists employee names with their titles, so you could also find out that way. 

Best of luck Sparkly. It's overwhelming in the beginning. (and the middle and the end... ;) )

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy

Understood. It's a bit stressful even when the schools are relatively cooperative. It could be nightmarish if they aren't. I also understand a long drive isn't a realistic option for everyone. 

Good luck deciding what to do. Are there any private schools that might be more receptive? I called and emailed a few schools before finding a seat for my dd.

I wish I had a good solution. It's frustrating that AP exam locations are elusive for so many. 

Understood. It's a bit stressful even when the schools are relatively cooperative. It could be nightmarish if they aren't. I also understand a long drive isn't a realistic option for everyone. 

Good luck deciding what to do. Are there any private schools that might be more receptive? I called and emailed a few schools before finding a seat for my dd.

I wish I had a good solution. It's frustrating that AP exam locations are elusive for so many. 

For a once a year exam I would absolutely be willing to travel far.  So I could just keep trying to find a place.

Starting with close schools and working outward would be my recommendation. We've even made overnight trips for standardized tests.

I think it's important to keep in mind your ultimate goal. Is it possible college credit? Outside verification? A rigorous outsourced class? A rigorous at-home class? Keeping the goals in mind and knowing what the Plan B is to meet the goals if APs don't work out might help you decide how far you are willing to travel and how much hassle you are willing to put up with.

If you decide to call or email now as opposed to the fall, I would suggest making it clear you are looking for a seat for next year's exam. You wouldn't want the coordinator to think you were trying to find a seat for this year. Most schools would probably turn you down this late in the year.  ;)

Good luck and fairy dust. You'll probably need both.  

The PA Homeschoolers Instructor sent an email saying that we should create an account so that we can view the grade online. However, it asks for the student ID number.  From what I can understand, we'd have to wait until dd takes her first exam in order to create the account.  Have I misunderstood?

• Like 1

The PA Homeschoolers Instructor sent an email saying that we should create an account so that we can view the grade online. However, it asks for the student ID number.  From what I can understand, we'd have to wait until dd takes her first exam in order to create the account.  Have I misunderstood?

No, you have not misunderstood. You have to wait until you have the student ID number. The account is pretty useless until the scores are in anyway, so you loose nothing in the wait.

• Like 1

Will the ID number be obvious? I'm worried it will be in small print on the back of the last page and my dd will forget to look.

If you care to hear all my other worries, I can list those as well. :tongue_smilie:

It will be obvious :) No worries there! I usually stick the number up on our fridge in the place where we put Very Important Information.

• Like 1

Ah yeah no they are not supportive of homeschoolers here.

I will try e-mailing the homeschool person.  I'll be lucky if they even respond to me.

This is not looking like a doable option. 

Hi Sparkly,

We had no trouble getting exams last year, but much trouble this year.  My recommendation would be to show up in person rather than calling.  Nobody said no to my face.

I will also tell you that it is pretty late in the year to be hoping to sign up for the AP exam.  I would not wait another day.

Judy