Menu

List of questions to ask the admissions office?

Momto6inIN

Oldest DS is a sophomore right now, so I know it's not exactly "crunch time" yet ... but I feel like I can see it from here. :laugh: We have a local Big 10 U that it's at least fairly likely he and the rest of the kids might end up at, and I'd like to contact them to get some general info because from what I've gathered from reading different threads it really does vary with the individual college. But I barely even know where to start with all my questions, and I'd like to speak at least somewhat intelligently when I call. :001_unsure:

Do I just call admissions and ask whom I need to talk to about homeschool requirements and admission? And what other questions do I need to add to this list? TIA!

1. General homeschool guidelines for admission - deadlines, Common App or other, etc.
  2. Do they need to know their intended major to apply or is that something they declare after admission
  3. Need an actual printed diploma or is a transcript sufficient
  4. Does the transcript need to be notarized
  5. How detailed of a course description/materials do they need
  6. Any SAT subject tests required - if so, which ones
  7. Do they prefer SAT or ACT
  8. Anything they do *not* want to see as AP or from the CC - esp for math and/or science majors

Yes just call and ask. They are used to these types of questions and more then willing to help your student successfully apply. In my experience the larger universities have admissions people who are specifically assigned to homeschool applicants, so they are more aware of homeschool-specific questions.

And if your local Big 10 U is Indiana, my oldest applied there because both dh and I are alums and I have family in B-town. We did the campus tour one summer when we were visiting, even though my kids and I have been on campus a lot and I certainly knew the campus well. It was fun to do the tour, and the admissions person we talked to afterwards was actually homeschooled himself! Dd didn't end up going there because we are out of state and OOS is hideously expensive, but she did get accepted, and IU's was one of the most homeschool-friendly applications we encountered.

If it's the other Big 10 school in Indiana, I can't help you there ;-)

I do highly recommend the campus tour, even if you are local. Schedule an admissions appointment after so you can ask your questions face to face--I found I got more straightforward answers when I was sitting in the office of the person I was asking instead of talking to them on the phone. And sophomore year is NOT too early--it can get the student excited about the college experience and what s/he has do to get there.

If it's the other Big 10 school in Indiana, I can't help you there ;-)

It is the "other one" :)

My husband and I are not native Hoosiers. We both grew up in IL and met when we were Fighting Illini. So it pains us to think of our children becoming Boilermakers someday lol ... but like you said OOS is ridiculously expensive, and when Purdue is right in your backyard ...

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Oldest DS is a sophomore right now, so I know it's not exactly "crunch time" yet ... but I feel like I can see it from here. :laugh: We have a local Big 10 U that it's at least fairly likely he and the rest of the kids might end up at, and I'd like to contact them to get some general info because from what I've gathered from reading different threads it really does vary with the individual college. But I barely even know where to start with all my questions, and I'd like to speak at least somewhat intelligently when I call. :001_unsure:

Do I just call admissions and ask whom I need to talk to about homeschool requirements and admission? And what other questions do I need to add to this list? TIA!

• General homeschool guidelines for admission - deadlines, Common App or other, etc.
  • Do they need to know their intended major to apply or is that something they declare after admission
  • Need an actual printed diploma or is a transcript sufficient
  • Does the transcript need to be notarized
  • How detailed of a course description/materials do they need
  • Any SAT subject tests required - if so, which ones
  • Do they prefer SAT or ACT
  • Anything they do *not* want to see as AP or from the CC - esp for math and/or science majors

I would start with the admissions website. I tend to read through as much as I can at admissions, then search for the school name and "admissions requirements homeschool" . The second search tends to uncover things like extra Subject Test requirements. For one kid I have a table summarizing subject test requirements with a link to where I found the info. I did that because I kept forgetting which school wanted them when it was time to fill out score report requests.

After I gleaned what I could, I would send an email. If you get what sounds like an inadequate or confusing answer then call. I have not gotten any poor response when I explain that I am acting as guidance counselor.

Ds applied to Purdue this year

1- Same deadlines applied as to traditional students.

2- He did declare a major or college because Purdue asks all students to do so. They admit by department iirc. So you could be turned down for Engineering but be accepted for Computer Science or another program.

3- A transcript is probably all that any school will ask for. The diploma is the pretty thing that lists the school name, kid name , and date. The transcript has all of the detail of which classes, what grade and when they were taken.

As a homeschooler, when a school asks for a transcript I tend to also send my course descriptions since that answers questions about depth and breadth of course.

4- Not notarized for admissions.

5- My course descriptions are a long paragraph with a textbook or booklist. I have a standard set of points to hit (how long, what level, what main content, how assessed, what outside source, how provided [at home, at college, online], course name and credits if dual enrolled, any outside test like NLE or AP exam. I can fit 2-5 per page depending on the subject (history and English have longer booklists than math and science).

The score requirements are something I'd check online since they may change year to year.

My opinion on AP/CC courses. Even if the degree does not grant transfer credit for AP or CC work, that level of exposure may help the student succeed in the course in college. In my mind for a homeschooler, course validation or transfer credit isn't the only reason to do AP or CC courses.

DS was accepted to Purdue and I didn't see any particular hitches with a homeschool app. I did have to spend a lot of time on the Common App in my counselor log in.

I would start with the admissions website. I tend to read through as much as I can at admissions, then search for the school name and "admissions requirements homeschool" . The second search tends to uncover things like extra Subject Test requirements. For one kid I have a table summarizing subject test requirements with a link to where I found the info. I did that because I kept forgetting which school wanted them when it was time to fill out score report requests.

After I gleaned what I could, I would send an email. If you get what sounds like an inadequate or confusing answer then call. I have not gotten any poor response when I explain that I am acting as guidance counselor.

Ds applied to Purdue this year

1- Same deadlines applied as to traditional students.

2- He did declare a major or college because Purdue asks all students to do so. They admit by department iirc. So you could be turned down for Engineering but be accepted for Computer Science or another program.

3- A transcript is probably all that any school will ask for. The diploma is the pretty thing that lists the school name, kid name , and date. The transcript has all of the detail of which classes, what grade and when they were taken.

As a homeschooler, when a school asks for a transcript I tend to also send my course descriptions since that answers questions about depth and breadth of course.

4- Not notarized for admissions.

5- My course descriptions are a long paragraph with a textbook or booklist. I have a standard set of points to hit (how long, what level, what main content, how assessed, what outside source, how provided [at home, at college, online], course name and credits if dual enrolled, any outside test like NLE or AP exam. I can fit 2-5 per page depending on the subject (history and English have longer booklists than math and science).

The score requirements are something I'd check online since they may change year to year.

My opinion on AP/CC courses. Even if the degree does not grant transfer credit for AP or CC work, that level of exposure may help the student succeed in the course in college. In my mind for a homeschooler, course validation or transfer credit isn't the only reason to do AP or CC courses.

DS was accepted to Purdue and I didn't see any particular hitches with a homeschool app. I did have to spend a lot of time on the Common App in my counselor log in.

Thank you for the detailed response - this was so helpful! Especially the bit about including the thought that I am acting as a guidance counselor in this situation. That really helps me know how to frame the conversation so that I keep my role in mind and don't just become another over-involved mommy. :)

I had looked through the admission website and googled Purdue homeschool admissions and all that showed up was 1 line on 1 page of the website: "Homeschooled students also must provide an official transcript with coursework and grades earned." Not overly enlightening, as I already knew that.

I did schedule him for a campus visit next week as well. Hopefully we'll be able to talk to someone from admissions that day and get some questions answered. I'm not sure I'm ready for this journey, but here we go anyway! :)

Thank you for the detailed response - this was so helpful! Especially the bit about including the thought that I am acting as a guidance counselor in this situation. That really helps me know how to frame the conversation so that I keep my role in mind and don't just become another over-involved mommy. :)

I had looked through the admission website and googled Purdue homeschool admissions and all that showed up was 1 line on 1 page of the website: "Homeschooled students also must provide an official transcript with coursework and grades earned." Not overly enlightening, as I already knew that.

I did schedule him for a campus visit next week as well. Hopefully we'll be able to talk to someone from admissions that day and get some questions answered. I'm not sure I'm ready for this journey, but here we go anyway! :)

We went to a college info night with Purdue reps and they were amazing.  Really did a good job of selling the school and making it sound like a place to be.

If you don't already have a transcript roughed out, this would be a good time to make one.

Last fall I wasn't sure how detailed course descriptions should be.  I wrote out descriptions for math and foreign language courses and took them to a college fair.  Pretty much all of the reps I showed them too said that the amount of info I had would meet their needs.  [They want more than just a title, but didn't want a page or more per course.]

FWIW, my transcripts also have a block for test scores, in which SAT/ACT/Subject Test/AP scores are listed.  Any course taken with an outside provider has a notation on where it was taken (I didn't do this for small coops taught by other parents).  We also had official transcripts sent from the colleges where ds was dual enrolled.

• Like 1

You usually don't have to call admissions so much as explore the college website.

For transcripts and course descriptions: Do something reasonable and send it to all colleges with the notation "additional information available upon request." You do not have to customize it for each school.

Make your decisions about AP and CC based on what is best for your child's educational growth. Some colleges will give advanced standing for it and some won't, but they shouldn't actively count it against you.

• Like 1