Menu

Oh My! I'm so overwhelmed!!!

mamalotsoftots

Oh my! I am going to be pulling my first grade son out of school for second grade & up. I've made all my curriculum choices, and thought I had picked things my son would excel at & enjoy (as well as involve his sisters) However, I've been researching the Math U See program (which is what I had picked out for him) would be good for him & his math mind but now I'm beginning to wonder. I think it may be too simple? He loves to know WHY. . .

I've read a few reviews that suggest maybe Math U See wouldn't be good for him. The school uses Saxon math now, & he hates the repetition of it all. But I don't want him to become dependant on the math blocks of math u see either. ? . I've thought about Singapore math also, but am unsure of it after reading the thread here about Singapore math being supplementary as well as spine. :confused:

Please help me clear up this mystery!! My son, he is so intellegent, he loves learning, and picks things up and can memorize things that blow me away, however, I do NOT want to make math redundant for him, as I am really horrible at math, & do not care for it, I don't want him to pick that up from me LOL. :DI just don't know what program to pick!

Just to give you a little background of what else I have picked:

BJU Bible

Rod & Staff Health, Spelling, Social Studies(using it as a crutch the first year ;) LOL)

Weaver Words of Wisdom for english

A reason for handwriting & Weaver's penmanship to praise

I'm going the Sonlight approach for: Reading, History, Geography, and science. I've got a lot of books about different subjects and of course experiments for science!!

I also have a Konos vol. 1 curriculum And the Weaver curriculum 1 as back ups if any of these others don't fit the bill. ha. (I went overboard, I know. . . :p)

Thank you for your time reading, I tend to ramble so I tried to keep it short. haha.

~Sarah

Well, hmmmm....

Have you thought about BJU Math? BJU teaches the whys with various manipulative's, but not to the extent of MUS. I used MUS for a year when my son was in 3rd and I personally found it too simplistic. BJU will teach a concept, develop it well, and then move on to something new in the next chapter. Later in the book, they will often come back to that previous concept and develop it a bit more. It doesn't have the constant review like Saxon which all my boys very much disliked as well, but it does have review. They continue that review each and every year taking it a bit deeper each time.

You MUST buy and USE the teachers Edition though. This is a math that is best if actually taught. The TE is made for the homeschooler though and walks you through exactly what to say and do, along with review to cover each day if needed. You'll need all the components such as the Student Materials Packet and the Teachers Packet. You can use the tests, or just use the chapter reviews or the cumulative review lessons as tests. That is up to you. Anyhow, you can view inside the various books at BJUP.COM just click on the textbooks link at the top and go to whatever grade/subject you're interested in. Once in there you can click on a specific book, like the student book, and then click on the "look inside" link under the books picture.

Also, a lot of people do use Singapore as a core math. My niece has for years with her kids, though I believe she is switching to BJU this next year to give them a traditional dose of math. Whether it will be a good switch for them remains to be seen. I used it as a supplement myself, and find that I prefer BJU, but it is still a solid math choice.

Blessings,

We like Miquon because it allows the child to find their own way to solve problems. It is manipulative-based at first, but once the child feels comfortable working without the manipulatives they don't have to. I also like that it is not a lot of drill. K would not do well with repetition - once she gets it, she wants to move on - which was one reason I chose Miquon. I do sometimes print worksheets from free websites as a supplement if she does need more practice.

I think Singapore sounds like it would be a good fit for him. The reason some folks use it to supplement their other programs may be that they feel they need the repitition of the other programs, but they may also want to work on mathematical thinking, through word problems, for instance, that Singapore is so very good at. I haven't found a better program than Singapore for math. Now that they have so many supplemental workbooks one can certainly add in enough repitition, I think, to help any child get down their facts.

Regena

Singapore has been a great fit here for my DD, who is quite advanced in math. I highly recommend it! DD would go insane if she had to do a lot of repetition. That ruled Saxon out for us, although I have heard that it's an excellent program. I knew that DD was able to do things with nos. early on that other kids her age weren't doing. We started with the Earlybird series when she turned 4 and are now in Primary 2B. She loves SM-PM and has flown through the series. We are also using SM-CWP and Miquon. I may drop the Miquon and the PM Workbook in favor of the IP workbook as she has yet to come across something that she doesn't understand. You may want to look into that for your DS as well.

G/L to you! I hope you find a program that works for your DS.

It's nice to get opinions from people who've actually used these products rather than me trying to wade through all the info the publishers put out there.

~ Singapore Math - I seen it in the Sonlight Catalog & was instantly drawn to it, but after reading here was worried it would be too unlike how I was taught? Is this something to be considered, or is it that I'll catch on as I go? I mean we are talking second grade math. hehe.

~Could you tell me a little more about Miquon math? I've seen it "around" on some curriculum websites, but not looked into it much.

~I've also not actually researched horizons, but know that some other homeschoolers in my church use this, and for some reason I had classed it to be like Saxon? Please correct me if I'm wrong!!! Although, I'm going to research all that is suggested to me here. :o

~I was leaning towards BJUP Math, recently, simply because I loved the Bible course so much, I am thrilled with the teacher edition, there is SO much information there!

I also bought a family math book, maybe we should just roll with that for a while. . . lol. I've got no idea. .

MUS may very well be a good fit -- the why is shown in the DVD (fascinating for those of us who never really "got" math in school) and the child can progress as fast as they're capable. You don't have to do all the pages. In fact, you could watch the DVD & do the A page...if they get understand & get 100%, do the test the next day and move on to the next lesson.

I have two math-minded kids using MUS. Neither has been dependent on the blocks. They apparently learn all they need to from the DVD. I'd encourage you to send off for the demo DVD.

I do supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems (for my 2nd grader, he loves them!) and Critical Thinking Press math books (5th grader).

I

~I've also not actually researched horizons, but know that some other homeschoolers in my church use this, and for some reason I had classed it to be like Saxon? Please correct me if I'm wrong!!! Although, I'm going to research all that is suggested to me here. :o

It is a spiral approach like Saxon, but it moves at a faster pace.

I think you would have a lot of fun with the Family Math book for introducing topics and exploring math.

We really enjoy Singapore here with both of my dc one of whom is mathy and the other is not.

We have used Earlybird to 3a here and only used the texts and workbooks. I let my mathy child pretty much just have the workbook but if there is something new or something that she is having trouble with we take our time and use the textbook and manipulatives to learn the material before doing the workbook.

My non-mathy child is working slowly through the Earlybird books. Because Singapore is 6 months to a year ahead of most programs you may want to have your son take the placement test.

It is different from most math programs but then again it is very clear and not as muddled as many math programs. You clearly know where you are going in Singapore math. They do do a variety of topics in a level and there is very little review but they do a good job of explaining the whys and the different ways to find answers.

If you feel like your child needs more help or wants more to do then they also have the supplemental books like Extra Maths (more of the same from the workbook--I will use this with my non-mathy child), Challenging World Problems (just word problems--we used it orally), and Intensive Practice (for the child who loves math and wants more of it at a deeper level). There is also a Home Educator's guide that has teaching ideas, games, mental math sheets and a schedule if you think you need the support.

You may want to see if someone in your area is using it and will let you look at the books. They generally resale fairly close to retail value but it is a good solid program.

Hope this helps.

Which level MUS are you using? Please take to heart what other posters have said. You don't have to do every page of MUS. You have them work until they get it and then you move on. The MUS people recommend not skipping the review pages (usually the D, E, and F pages) because they review everything learned so far. Some days we completely skip the basic pages (A, B, C) after watching the video for the lesson. If my son gets it, I move him on. Other lessons he gets so well I just give him the test and we move on to the next lesson. He only uses the blocks when he watches the video lessons. Then he usually gets the new concept and doesn't need the blocks. I'v decided to stick with MUS because I can really see how it will help him understand higher math. It is fascinating to have a MUS rep show you higher math using their program. I finally get it, like I never did in school.

Also, my son can't stand the repition of other programs. We've tried BJU and Horizons. The short and sweet, but thorough, lessons of MUS have fit us well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the first couple of years of homeschooling are real learning experiences for you, the teacher. It's impossible to know what will work until you get in the trenches and try something. Eventually, you will figure out what works. It may very well be completely different than what you first start out with, but that's okay. Just keep an open mind, stay flexible, and try not to freak out! You are not a failure because you might have picked something that isn't working. View each roadblock as a chance to get to know your son's learning style even better. Yes, it can be expensive in the beginning because you might change curriculums, and it can be incredibly frustrating! But that will get better. Eventually you'll figure it out and it will be easier and cheaper!

Hang in there!

Hi Sarah,

I pulled my daughter out of first grade last year so I know how you are feeling. I think my biggest challange was finding the "right" math program. I look back now and I can't remember why I was so obsessed with this, but I was :)

I finally went with Singapore because of all the great reviews I was hearing. I also believe in teaching to mastery and then moving on...My daughter also hates doing the same problems over and over once she has figured it out! Sometimes we do all the problems in the wkbk and sometimes we just skip to the next section. We have never needed more problems than what is offered in the wkbk.

What I like about Singapore is that they have their basic program: Text and Workbook but you can add other components as you see necessary.

Extra Practice (I have never used these because I feel like there are plenty of basic problems already in the wkbk)

Intensive Practice - we use these...they bring the problems to a higher level

Word problems - I have this but I don't think I will get it again next year (Singapore already has word problems built into the workbook...if you need more practice though you might like it)

Also I have never used the Home Instructor's Guides (I actually didn't know they existed) but I am going to get them next year because I have been told they are very helpful. I assure you that Singapore is a comprehensive math program, not a supplement! Hopefully something I said was helpful...good luck!

~ Singapore Math - I seen it in the Sonlight Catalog & was instantly drawn to it, but after reading here was worried it would be too unlike how I was taught? Is this something to be considered, or is it that I'll catch on as I go? I mean we are talking second grade math. hehe.

~Could you tell me a little more about Miquon math? I've seen it "around" on some curriculum websites, but not looked into it much.

We've used both Singapore and Miquon. The explanations in the Singapore textbook are very straight forward. I don't believe in the early levels that they are hard to understand at all, and you should catch on easily. If you are unsure about how to teach a certain topic, you can always post a question on this board or the Singapore boards. Their are also home instructor guides available to purchase if you want the extra help.

Miquon is meant to be used more like a math lab. You take the page and sit down to figure out the concept together using cuisenaire rods. I only use it as a supplement because I don't believe it has enough practice with a concept to be used as a stand alone programs. It's great for kids who love to sit and figure things out on their own.

HTH

Hello, I realize this topic is old news as I found it on page 6 I think? haha!

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all who chimed in with their thoughts & ideas. I really do appreciate it!

I decided to start out with MUS beta & see how it goes, it looks like I can resell it on eBay for nearly what I paid for it new! So that made me feel a little better :) ( I received my DVD in the mail yesterday, go figure!)

Anyways, Thanks a ton for your ideas & suggestions.

~Sarah