Menu

Ivy league students tips

Jadde32

Those of you who have been admitted to ivy league schools can you share some curriculum tips and if your children dual enrolled in community colleges and so on? Did you follow the well trained mind curriculum as Susan Bauer specifies in her book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have six kids and they have all been accepted to top schools including Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Duke, Cornell....

We used something like the Well Trained Mind curriculum (we started before the book came out, so I developed something on my own that is very similar to her approach) through middle school.  We provided a rich environment and let the kids work at their own speed, so they were all quite advanced by ninth grade.  In high school, we used dual enrollment for science and math beyond AP Calculus BC (my kids all took that in 9th or 10th grade).  We did lots of APs -- some on our own and some through PA Homeschoolers.  We had started French and German in kindergarten and all of the kids took APs in both subjects in 8th-10th grade.  They all were active in orchestra and club sports, they did community service, and they did an internship at a national research lab in 12th grade.  They entered science and history competitions and they all had national awards.  They were all National Merit Finalists (we live in one of the toughest states) and they all had SAT scores above 2300.

• Like 9

I have six kids and they have all been accepted to top schools including Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Duke, Cornell....

We used something like the Well Trained Mind curriculum (we started before the book came out, so I developed something on my own that is very similar to her approach) through middle school.  We provided a rich environment and let the kids work at their own speed, so they were all quite advanced by ninth grade.  In high school, we used dual enrollment for science and math beyond AP Calculus BC (my kids all took that in 9th or 10th grade).  We did lots of APs -- some on our own and some through PA Homeschoolers.  We had started French and German in kindergarten and all of the kids took APs in both subjects in 8th-10th grade.  They all were active in orchestra and club sports, they did community service, and they did an internship at a national research lab in 12th grade.  They entered science and history competitions and they all had national awards.  They were all National Merit Finalists (we live in one of the toughest states) and they all had SAT scores above 2300.

We need a genuflect emoticon. I cannot imagine doing all of this with six kids. You must have incredible energy. Brava, mom!  

• Like 6

Calvin ended up at Oxford. He did 'high school' classes early, validating them with public exams.  He went to school to study the IB.  He also pursued his own interests, choosing to spend one summer learning Ancient Greek and coming runner up in a national poetry competition, both of which were directly relevant to his wanting to study English and Classics

• Like 1

We used something like the Well Trained Mind curriculum (we started before the book came out, so I developed something on my own that is very similar to her approach) through middle school. We provided a rich environment and let the kids work at their own speed, so they were all quite advanced by ninth grade. In high school, we used dual enrollment for science and math beyond AP Calculus BC (my kids all took that in 9th or 10th grade). We did lots of APs -- some on our own and some through PA Homeschoolers. We had started French and German in kindergarten and all of the kids took APs in both subjects in 8th-10th grade. They all were active in orchestra and club sports, they did community service, and they did an internship at a national research lab in 12th grade. They entered science and history competitions and they all had national awards. They were all National Merit Finalists (we live in one of the toughest states) and they all had SAT scores above 2300.

This is amazing!!! Congratulations!! Alot of hard work indeed how did you manage to achieve all of this with six kids? Did you have any help?