Menu

best 'reader' style books

LaughingCat

So DD2 is an excellent reader, but she won't move out of the 'reader' style books (Little Bear/Frog and Toad style).   I know she'll make the move when she's ready (and it'll probably even be soon)  but in the meantime I am listening to a lot of not so great prose....  which made me wonder.....

do you all have any favorites at this level of reading? If you could only have 5 or so of these 'reader' books -- what would you pick?  (or if you would rather not pick any 'readers' at all -- what would you pick instead?)

Well, I like Little Bear and Frog and Toad a lot!

You might also try

Bink and Gollie

Ling and Ting

Sam and Charlie (what IS it with these series and having two characters in the title?)

You  know, you might also be able to convince her to try some graphic novels. Consider Babymouse, Rapunzel's Revenge, Astronaut Academy, Zita the Spacegirl, How Mirka Got Her Sword, Princeless....

• Like 1

Have you tried showing her the Branches books from Scholastic? They're various seriies at around the same reading level as ER3/4 and very high interest, with pictures on most pages. It may just push her past the ER's just because she loves the stories. Our favorites were Franny K. Stein, Wrenly and Dragon Slayer's Academy.

If I had to choose readers though...Our favorites were the Mercy Watson books and anything by Syd Hoff, as well as the Francis books.

• Like 1

I like to use McGuffey readers. The prose is good. In fact, some of the sentence structure is a bit archaic. This is a big plus for us because it gently familiarizes my kids with older, more formal English styles so they can transition to classic literature rather effortlessly. The McGuffeys start off with short, phonetically simple stories, and gradually increase in reading difficulty.

• Like 1

I taught first grade for 5 years, and I have a :001_wub:  for this level of reader!  

(I have a huge collection of them, LOL.)

At Frog & Toad level, I like:

1. almost everything Arnold Lobel (Frog & Toad, Owl at Home, Fables, Grasshopper on the Road, Mouse Tales, Uncle Elephant, Mouse Soup, Small Pig)
  2. the Fox books from James & Edward Marshall (Fox in Love, Fox all week, Fox at School, etc), as well as Three by the Sea, Three up a Tree, Four on the Shore)
  3. Dave Pilkey's Dragon books (Dragon Gets By, Dragon's Fat Cat)
  4. Henry and Mudge series
  5. Mr. Putter & Tabby series

Once we outgrow that level, we moved on to:

• Kingdom of Wrenly series
  • Magic Treehouse
  • the Lighthouse Family series (so sweet!)
  • Dragon Masters (a Scholastic Branches series)
  • ...and (I'll admit) the Rainbow Fairy books  :wacko:
  • Like 1