Menu

Singapore math users-how would you draw this bar model?

Homebody2

We are working in Primary Math 3A.  How would we draw the bar model to go along with this word problem?  

96 children divided themselves into groups of 4.  How many groups were there?

It's a division problem.  96 is the whole and each group has 4 children, but how do you show that on a bar model if you're trying to determine the number of groups?  Where would the ? go to show the part you are trying to figure out?  

Thanks for the input!

I never thought that there was a way to draw a bar model for this, but I just looked this up in my handy dandy Singapore Model Method book, and they actually have something about it.

You are supposed to draw a few bars, then a bar with a break in it, and then one more bar.  One bar would represent 4 children and the whole thing represents 96 children.  According to the book: "The broken section indicates the number of parts unknown.  Knowing the whole and one part, students can find the number of parts by dividing the whole by one part."

Even after seeing that, I still believe that there is no good way to draw a bar diagram of this situation.

I never thought that there was a way to draw a bar model for this, but I just looked this up in my handy dandy Singapore Model Method book, and they actually have something about it.

You are supposed to draw a few bars, then a bar with a break in it, and then one more bar.  One bar would represent 4 children and the whole thing represents 96 children.  According to the book: "The broken section indicates the number of parts unknown.  Knowing the whole and one part, students can find the number of parts by dividing the whole by one part."

Even after seeing that, I still believe that there is no good way to draw a bar diagram of this situation.

Wait...there's a Singapore Model Methods book?  

• Like 1

You are supposed to draw a few bars, then a bar with a break in it, and then one more bar. One bar would represent 4 children and the whole thing represents 96 children. According to the book: "The broken section indicates the number of parts unknown. Knowing the whole and one part, students can find the number of parts by dividing the whole by one part."

Thank you for this. I was thinking the same thing, but I agree that it still doesn't seem adequate.

I'm curious, if a student who doesn't use Singapore math solved this equation, how would she show a picture? I taught third grade ten years ago, and my students had to show a picture to show their thinking (along with writing how they solved it and showing the math equation). Do they even do that anymore?