Menu

Scholarships for College

I have a question about scholarships at public universities. I've just been looking at the requirements for the top scholarship at our local state university. My dd has the ACT score and the GPA necessary, but the scholarship also has the requirement of graduating from an accredited high school. Is there any way around this requirement? There is a possibility that she might get a good score on the PSAT next year, as she took it this year and may have scored above the cut-off as a sophomore. I would appreciate any information you could give me. Feeling a little nervous about this now!

Call them. Get an email for a financial person and have them confirm this via email if they truly want only an accredited high school.

Homeschooling legally should count as an "accredited high school," but sometimes you have to push their buttons to accept that. One school we applied to wanted a copy of our homeschool letter from the county. Every state and school can be little different.

Call them. Get an email for a financial person and have them confirm this via email if they truly want only an accredited high school.

Homeschooling legally should count as an "accredited high school," but sometimes you have to push their buttons to accept that. One school we applied to wanted a copy of our homeschool letter from the county. Every state and school can be little different.

I wondered if I should do this, but don't necessarily have all my ducks in a row yet, as she is a sophomore this year. Is there any way I can do more harm than good if I ask? I guess I'm wondering if I ask, and they confirm that it is only accredited high schools, then I won't be able to have her apply later on, on the off chance that they may make exceptions. This is probably a crazy way to be thinking but I'm kind of having a panic at the moment.

Have you looked at this document for the school?

http://financialaid.missouri.edu/forms/files/identity-verification-and-statement-of-educational-purpose-form-2015-16.pdf

it might have some insights. 

I know several homeschoolers who got scholarships at Missouri Science and Tech (which is part of U of Missouri system but not in Columbia).  They were all homeschooled and residents of Missouri (even residents of the city where that campu is) Hope that encourages a bit to contact and ask for clarification.  Maybe no one has asked about that and they could write that part of the website with a bit more info.

• Like 1

Have you looked at this document for the school?

http://financialaid.missouri.edu/forms/files/identity-verification-and-statement-of-educational-purpose-form-2015-16.pdf

it might have some insights. 

I know several homeschoolers who got scholarships at Missouri Science and Tech (which is part of U of Missouri system but not in Columbia).  They were all homeschooled and residents of Missouri (even residents of the city where that campu is) Hope that encourages a bit to contact and ask for clarification.  Maybe no one has asked about that and they could write that part of the website with a bit more info.

Thank you for the link and the encouragement!

• Like 1

I wondered if I should do this, but don't necessarily have all my ducks in a row yet, as she is a sophomore this year. Is there any way I can do more harm than good if I ask? I guess I'm wondering if I ask, and they confirm that it is only accredited high schools, then I won't be able to have her apply later on, on the off chance that they may make exceptions. This is probably a crazy way to be thinking but I'm kind of having a panic at the moment.

I don't know how it would hurt to call. Hundreds of people call them every day, and I don't know how checking now would hurt.

Every college we dealt with was very familiar with homeschooling. There were a few extra hoops, but discrimination is by far the exception, not the rule. Always a few of course, but don't assume the worst yet.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1