Menu

What are the pro's and con's of receiving a large amount of CC credits in HS?

I remember reading or hearing a comment in relation to the fact that the number of college credits a student receives in high school can affect there college admissions process. I don't remember the why though.

I have a dd who has taken a cc class in the past, and we are planning for her to take more, but would like to know the pros and cons.

Her plans are to go to a university, and play college level sports. (We are aware of NCAA req's) She is 10th grade.

Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have traveled this route previously.

I would say that it would depend on what colleges your student is considering. I would contact them and ask them directly about their dual enrollment policy.

My oldest has taken 13 cc credits so far, and will have 25 cc credits by the time she graduates this spring. She's applied to one college so far and their policy is that a student can take as many classes as they want and, as long as they were completed prior to graduating from high school, they won't consider her a transfer student.

(I would also explore how many classes your cc will let a high school student take per semester -- some limit it to two classes; our cc limits it to four classes)

Pros: they can rack up a lot of credits that will transfer, allowing them to earn their degree in 4 years--almost unheard of any more.

Really?? I didn't know that. I graduated 8 years ago in 3 and a half years.. to save money.

Interesting thread.

All of the colleges around here have agreements with the local CCs allowing all of those credits to transfer.

My dd entered college with 23 credits from a private university, 9 credits from the CC, 9 credits earned via AP exams and 6 credits via CLEP exam. With those 47 credits she'll have her master's degree in the summer of 2011.

Not all classes may transfer or only as gen ed credits. And finally, when they decide to go the the Naval Academy, NOTHING transfers! ;-)

Margaret,

Are you saying that your dd got no validation credit or placement in advanced courses based on her previous college credits? Or that her grades on college classes taken elsewhere didn't figure into her gpa? Or something else?

Maybe there is a distinction between transfer credit and validation (which shows up as a course completed but without a grade assigned).

I remember reading or hearing a comment in relation to the fact that the number of college credits a student receives in high school can affect there college admissions process. I don't remember the why though.

I have a dd who has taken a cc class in the past, and we are planning for her to take more, but would like to know the pros and cons.

Her plans are to go to a university, and play college level sports. (We are aware of NCAA req's) She is 10th grade.

Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have traveled this route previously.

I made that comment about college admissions based on what I *thought* we were told at a college visit. Because of the program ds wants to enter, being an entering freshman is VERY important...but we were given the incorrect impression at our first meeting.

As long as the credits are earned before high school graduation, you can earn as many as you like. (They may or may not all transfer...that's up to the school.) If you take more than 11 hours AFTER high school graduation, you will be considered a transfer student rather than an incoming freshman.

Our goal with cc is for high school credit. If the credit transfers, that's great. If not, I'm OK with that. Pharmacy is a lot of specialized classes! However, if we'd had the correct understanding of the credit deal, ds might have taken a couple more classes (like English or history) that could have transfered. As it is, he'll have 2 semesters (8 hrs) of Spanish that will transfer and 1 semester (4 hrs) of Calculus that will not.(class isn't equivalent to what's required for pharmacy) Since my goal is to have some sort of calculus on his high school transcript, that's OK with me.

Anyway...sorry if I have misled anyone on the cc and college admissions deal. As always...check with the school. (EARLY is better than later!) :001_smile:

Margaret,

Are you saying that your dd got no validation credit or placement in advanced courses based on her previous college credits? Or that her grades on college classes taken elsewhere didn't figure into her gpa? Or something else?

Maybe there is a distinction between transfer credit and validation (which shows up as a course completed but without a grade assigned).

I'm going to guess that at the Academy that you must do their classes even if you have taken them prior. I wouldn't be surprised about that in regards to an Academy education.

I'm going to guess that at the Academy that you must do their classes even if you have taken them prior. I wouldn't be surprised about that in regards to an Academy education.

Actually, I did some research within the USNA website. I think that they make a distinction between validation and transfer. An academic department can determine that you've met the requirements of a certain class using tests, college level coursework or interviews.

They do not at all accept transfer students, in the sense that you always begin with freshman standing. But you might get credit for some of the typical freshman requirements.

I am both a USNA alumna and admissions liason officer so I did want to make the distinction. We strongly encourage students to reapply if they aren't accepted the first year and recommend that they take college courses similar to the required freshman load. Depending on how they evaluate the college courses, you might end up in a higher level course or with validation credit.

While my personal experience is now rather dated, I validated 15 credits of coursework through validation tests, AP scores and interviews with the foreign language department.

That makes sense to me!

I had pondered trying to get into the Air Force Academy, but well, that didn't pan out. I knew that you always entered as a freshman, but i glad to see that there is the potential/possibility to get credit for CC in regards to academic load.

But basically - you wouldn't EVER enter as a first semester Junior even with an AA, you'd always be a freshman :D

Actually, I did some research within the USNA website. I think that they make a distinction between validation and transfer. An academic department can determine that you've met the requirements of a certain class using tests, college level coursework or interviews.

They do not at all accept transfer students, in the sense that you always begin with freshman standing. But you might get credit for some of the typical freshman requirements.

I am both a USNA alumna and admissions liason officer so I did want to make the distinction. We strongly encourage students to reapply if they aren't accepted the first year and recommend that they take college courses similar to the required freshman load. Depending on how they evaluate the college courses, you might end up in a higher level course or with validation credit.

While my personal experience is now rather dated, I validated 15 credits of coursework through validation tests, AP scores and interviews with the foreign language department.

It's important to note that not all colleges will accept CC credits. Here in PA there are lots of schools that will accept CC credits, and also some that will not. My dd's college accepted all her CC credits; she is now considered a junior even though she's just starting her sophomore year (the irony here is that she's in a 5-year BS/MS nursing program and she's got to take the nursing classes in order, so she'll have to be there for 5 years anyway, lol). My son's college, however, is somewhat notorious for not accepting many credits at all; the most you can transfer are credits for 3 one-semester classes. In order to have those credits transfer, however, the course must meet a list of criteria. If it passes that list, the college requests a syllabus and name of the textbook used for the course and passes it to the appropriate dept. in the college. If they determine that the course content was equal to or above what is taught at their college, the student will be awarded credit.

All this to say that my dd graduated with 27 CC credits; all were accepted at her school. My ds graduated with 31 CC and local university credits, and he received credit for 3 one-semester classes at his school.

Don't count on anything! Verify with each and every school.

Ria

I would just like to second completely what Ria said:

Check with the school.

The college my kids attend will NOT accept cc credits no matter what! Period. End of discussion. But it will accept AP scores of 5 in some subjects for credit.

And as a friend of mine likes to point out, CC's don't accept AP credits! :tongue_smilie:

So you need to figure out your child's likely path before you can attempt to make an informed decision.