Menu

What to see in Québec City (and St. Johnsbury, VT)?

My dw and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary next month, and we're decided to take a short family vacation to Québec City. We'll be arriving on a Friday evening and leaving the following Monday. Dw has a dozen guide books out of the library, but I'd love to hear from folks who know the city (Cleo?) and have kids. What are your must-see places?

We plan to stop in or around St. Johnsbury on the way up, so on the off-chance that anyone can recommend a kid-friendly restaurant with good vegetarian selections, we'd love to hear about it. :)

TIA!

Hmmm, I feel bad.. My family is from Quebec City, so when we go there, we do the family thing. I don't really know much of touristy Quebec City! LOL

But if you were to stop by Montreal, I'd happily meet you here and show you around!

That said, Ile d'Orleans is worth a visit I'm told (never been there, no family on it), and the 'funiculaire' is worth it, if only because it forces you to go to Old Quebec (so visit that) and Chateau Frontenac

http://www.funiculaire-quebec.com/en/Accueil.htm

http://www.fairmont.com/Frontenac/

Next to Frontenac there's the Citadelle and the big wooden plaza that I don't recall how it's named.. :tongue_smilie: Walk along that plaza, visit the Citadelle, and you get to the Plaines d'Abraham (nothing to do with the Bible Abraham) where the Anglos beat the French and won most of the French territories in North America.

Great restaurant, kid friendly, vegetarian in Montreal! Le Commensal!

And I just saw there's one in Quebec City!

http://www.commensal.com/fr/ou/restaurants/quebec/default.idigit

I haven't been in ages because my kids have food allergies (nuts and peanuts and soy and eggs - so we have to stay away :crying: )

If they haven't changed their approach, pricing is according to weight. Everything is the same price per kilo, the more you load your plate, the more you'll pay. Salad is quite inexpensive, lasagna is quite costly. Stay away from tomatoes, they're particularly dense!

hey, I'm looking for a place to visit in Maine in the following weeks. We have a little motorhome that I want to take on the road one last time! Can we visit you?

Well, yeah! You can park the RV at the place just behind my house. I can't remember the name of it right off, but it is popular enough.

The last time I was in Quebec was more than a decade ago when my son was three and my nephew was playing in a big Pee Wee hockey tournament around the time of Winter Carnival. We saw a lot of hockey--including games at the shopping mall that someone else mentioned. But we also visited the aquarium. And we ate crepes somewhere--delish!

Jane

Drew, I'm not any help, but I just want to say what a lovely choice I think Quebec City is. Dh and I had a chance to stop there for a night and part of the next day during our honeymoon trip, in between our stays in Niagra Falls and Prince Edward Island. If we had known how wonderful Quebec City is, we would have planned to stay for longer. We stayed at the beautiful Chateau Frontenac and had just enough time the next morning to eat breakfast at a little cafe across the street and walk around that part of town for a short while. May you and your wife enjoy your time there, and happy anniversary!

We plan to stop in or around St. Johnsbury on the way up, so on the off-chance that anyone can recommend a kid-friendly restaurant with good vegetarian selections, we'd love to hear about it. :)

TIA!

Yes! There is a cute bookstore/cafe restaurant that is right on the main drag....On the other side of the road from the Dunkin Donuts about 1.5 blocks south of it. I wish I could remember it's name....it has been 7 years since I lived there, so it may not be there anymore. However, there was a great organic/ natural foods store as well, Natural Provisions, which from a websearch looks like it is still in St. J's, but also a few miles up the road in Lyndonville VT, too.

Enjoy your get away!