Menu

Dental Implants?

ktgrok

I have one tooth that was pulled a few years ago. (1 or two years). Upper molar. I'm finally getting around to dealing with it, I had other more urgent issues, but now I have to decide on a bridge or implant. One argument I see for implants is that you don't have to mess with the teeth on either side, but I already need crowns on those teeth anyway...so that doesn't really matter. 

How big an issue is bone loss from one missing molar if I don't get an implant? How gross is it to floss under a bridge? What is the real cost difference? How awful is it to have the surgery to put the implant in? The idea of drilling into my bone and screwing something in freaks me out. I'd need valium at least.  

Also, timing....I want to start trying to conceive in mid may. I obviously don't want dental work while pregnant. Could I get the surgery to put the stupid thing in now, then do the second surgery after having the baby? I'm reading 6 months healing time anyway, but can it go longer? I don't want to wait 6 months to do it, then try to conceive, as I'm turning 40 in a few weeks. 

I go next week to get permanent crowns on teeth on the other side, and will discuss it with the dentist then, and look into insurance coverage, but figured I'd ask here as well. If I'm not a candidate and need a bone graft or sinus lift or whatever, I'll just do the bridge. 

I had three implants put in a couple of years ago. They replaced a bridge and failed root canals. Chemo allowed a tiny infection to rage and those teeth had to come out. The bridge I probably had for ten or twelve years....never did like it. I waited two years after chemo--in part to let everything heal and in part to save up for the procedure.

So...implants. My dentist did the procedure in his office. I was very numb, but the next day or two I was super sore. It took several weeks to heal...and to continue to pay the bill. :) Once the teeth part was in, it was great!

If I could afford to fill my mouth with implants, I would. They are strong and sturdy, look great. It cost almost 10K to have all three done, but I'm glad we did it. Not only is my mouth healthier, my smile looks much better. (All three missing teeth were on one side making a serious black hole when I smiled. )

I'm not sure if it would apply in your situation, but I ended up going with braces to close up the gaps.  I had 2 baby teeth for which I had no adult counterparts, and needed to get those pulled as well as the adult teeth above them, which had started to grow in too far, exposing their roots.  My mouth was kind of crowded anyhow, and my remaining teeth were in good condition.  The braces are taking a little over 2 years, but everything is nicely lined up and looking good.  I got pregnant and had a baby during the second year of the braces without any problems.

DH has had his implant post in for a year.  Because of overall cost with other issues, and another needed crown, we decided to wait until the new calendar year so we had some coverage.  He will get the actual crown later this month.  He had a metal seal over the opening the entire time, which I think is standard anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

If you already need crowns on the adjacent teeth, I would go with a bridge. It replaces the missing tooth and takes care of the adjacent teeth in 2 appointments, probably a few weeks or a month apart. It is very common to need a sinus lift or bone grafts with upper molars, unfortunately. Get the evaluation from the surgeon, get the financial quote for the implant and the bridge, find out if a sinus lift will be needed, and find out the time table for both options with your pregnancy time table. The surgery for the implant is not bad from what patients have said. The sinus lift, well, that might be another story. The more the surgeon has to do to place the implant, such as sinus lift or bone grafts, the more chance for the implant to fail. Implants placed on the lower have a higher success rate because of the type of bone the mandible is.

It's not gross to floss under a bridge IF it is flossed regularly. 😉 It can get pretty grody when it gets flossed 'bi-annually'. 😷

I had IV sedation for my procedure (bone grafting and front tooth implant). It was very sore, a long process and expensive. However, I am so glad I went through with it. I turned out beautifully and have had no issues in the 9 years that I've had it. It was done by an oral surgeon. I would recommend asking around your area for recommendations, this is something you will want done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing so you don't have problems down the road. The oral surgeon did the surgery portion and my dentist handled the fitting/ordering and placing the tooth/crown itself. Couldn't be happier! If I recall correctly, I was pregnant during the procedure but didn't know it. No problems there.