Menu

Anyone successfully use Singapore through 6B with severe dyslexic?

DD7 is working in Singapore partnered with C-Rods, about a semester behind grade level because we had a year in private school that set her back. I really want to use RS but I'd hate to switch and push her back even further (before dyslexia was known, SM was my top choice and siblings have thrived with it). She does well with the TB and WB since they are both conceptual and way light on reading. I think IP would be too much reading/writing until she's older and we haven't attempted CWP but plan to include it. Wondering if you anyone else has used it successfully with your dx?

Yes, I've done SM paired with Beast through elementary with a severe dyslexic. My daughter has great math logic, but had a lot of trouble learning many of the steps of long division, fraction multiplication, decimals, etc. I read her all the problems (with words) since she couldn't read them herself. She always ran behind grade level in math, but we kept poking along at her lever. She in now in middle school and progressing through math much faster and I suspect she'll pass up many of her peers soon.

I have a son I'm currently reading all his math too as well (SM and Beast).

• Like 1

Yes, I am currently reading aloud all of her math which works really well. It's good to hear someone else has successfully gone this route! You don't see it mentioned on these boards much and I didn't know if I was setting myself up for disaster ahead. But, I think that a year behind in a strong conceptual program is better than "at level" in one that doesn't teach conceptually. So glad it's paying off for you!

• Like 1

We did. I read to ds the early years, skipped some of the writing of number words and corrected his math work with his dyslexia in mind. We addressed his reversals and upside-down numbers as slightly different than "math" errors. In the early grades he made mistakes like 6 for 9, E for 3, 12 for 21--which while wrong on paper, he often knew the answer orally, so I addressed to root problem with techniques for dyslexia. He maintained confidence in his math abilities, gradually corrected his place value and reversal errors without getting more confused, and his math no longer reflect dyslexic errors.

• Like 1

With my oldest, I read and scribe math through precalc due to severe dysgraphia. He is now independently doing AP calculus with the only accommodation that he doesn't have to write out all the daily homework - just the free responses and tests.

Teach to their needs. Separate out the parts that need more work - whether it be separating reading or writing from the math teaching or providing a calculator for harder division problems so that they can move along in math while you go back and work slowly through teaching long division by hand. Do what's best for your child, but do aim to work on all the pieces even if you have to separate them.

• Like 2

We have a different exceptionality here, but we have issues with volume of work and handwriting. I suggest picking and choosing problems from the IP rather than not doing it. You might lighten some of the WB or TB (take out the easier problems if any are "easy" for her) and replace them with similar but harder problems in the IP. YMMV.

• Like 1

Yes, I've done SM paired with Beast through elementary with a severe dyslexic. My daughter has great math logic, but had a lot of trouble learning many of the steps of long division, fraction multiplication, decimals, etc. I read her all the problems (with words) since she couldn't read them herself. She always ran behind grade level in math, but we kept poking along at her lever. She in now in middle school and progressing through math much faster and I suspect she'll pass up many of her peers soon.

I have a son I'm currently reading all his math too as well (SM and Beast).

This is what I have done with both my dyslexics as well. My boys excel at math but need extra help on word problems and more practice on long division, fractions, & decimals. It is really just a procedural issue.

• Like 1