Menu

Animals and vacation

I've always taken our animals on vacation, but this year I have no room in the car. I own two dogs, 1 cat, and a quaker parrot. The dogs are easy because they are small and can sit in a child's lap; but not the cat or parrot.

I'm thinking of asking a neighbor's child to pet sit for me. How many times per day should she come over to let the cat in and out and for basic "play time"?

Does the cat not use a litter box? When we go out of town, my brother comes to take care of the cats, and we just have him come every other day. Of course, we have two cats, so they have each other for company. Maybe one cat would get too lonely that way? Birds I have no idea. Well, I do have chickens, and they're fine with someone coming every other day, too.

I would say twice a day. Will he come back, do you have a pet door? Will he use a litter box if necessary?

For the parrot I'd make sure she knows how to change the food and water and to gauge if the food is eaten. It's been a long time since I've cared for birds but I remember how sometimes the bowl looks full but it is not.

Does your bird need people around, would he get lonely? Can you leave on a TV or radio?

Just some "I'm on my first cup of coffee" suggestions.