Menu

Improving coordination- increasing the body brain connection- Ideas?

Soror

I've noticed doing aerial silks that strength work comes infinitely easier than skill work. I notice another girl in my class has an easier time with the skill work, it seems there are some instinct to it that I don't have.  It seems I rarely can get sequences the first time I try it, it is like my brain shuts down and spazzes out(as in I watch the demo, hear the cues but yet when I try to get my brain to tell my body to do it there is a disconnect), then the next time we work on it I wonder why it was so impossible before. Anyone else work this way? This is the first kind of work like this I've done, I do yoga which is about body connection but we generally learn positions one at a time,which makes it much easier to get various parts in the right places rather than going through various positions one after another often in quick succession) Does the brain and body learn to work together better? Any other tips other than just keep practicing? I think now, I wonder how much easier this would have been if I had did dance or such when I was a kid. 

Edited by soror

I think it is pretty normal? At least I tell myself that. I recently started fencing, and sometimes (well, often) it is hard to get the movement right, even after it is explained and demonstrated by other people. I think, at least in my case, it comes from trying to control many things at once, my hand, wrist, footwork plus pay attention to whatever the other person is doing. It is a lot like driving. At first, you have to think about the wheel, pedals, lights, other cars, your speed, etc, and it is overwhelming. After a while, it all becomes automatic. Some people can be better with dealing with this kind of stuff, but I still like to think it is normal :)

• Like 1

I think it is pretty normal? At least I tell myself that. I recently started fencing, and sometimes (well, often) it is hard to get the movement right, even after it is explained and demonstrated by other people. I think, at least in my case, it comes from trying to control many things at once, my hand, wrist, footwork plus pay attention to whatever the other person is doing. It is a lot like driving. At first, you have to think about the wheel, pedals, lights, other cars, your speed, etc, and it is overwhelming. After a while, it all becomes automatic. Some people can be better with dealing with this kind of stuff, but I still like to think it is normal :)

It must be good for our brains right? 

Tai chi.  That is what some dancer and also some elderly people I know rave about for just this sort of thing.

I was considering Tai Chi yesterday, I just went to a new place last night and she has Tai Chi. Coincidentally I *just* saw an article about Tai Chi- http://news.yahoo.com/tai-chi-qigong-could-beneficial-cardiovascular-conditions-says-110839628.html

Although I don't need a reduction in cholesterol or BP, if anything I need increases. Reduced depression is always good and I get plenty of cardio work in other ways.