Menu

S/o Saxon: need a spiral math program

Okay, rather than hijacking the other thread I'll start one.

Dd11 used Saxon for 2nd and 3rd grades, but it was not a complete success.

That's partly dryly humorous understatement, because the torn worksheets and tears were quite spectacular. But it's also an accurate description, because in lots of ways Saxon was a good fit. The small chunks of new information and constant review were perfect. The fact that she didn't need to copy problems out of a textbook was good. The pages didn't bother her visually, except that she could see that there was ssooooo mmuuuuch to ddoooo!

We've been trying to manage since then by piecing together different things, and that approach is draining me dry. I need a math curriculum, but what?

I have looked at CLE, and it appears to have lessons which are several pages long. There is no way she will do that much in a day. Of course, I could spread them out over several days and accept slower progress. Is there any reason people prefer CLE over Saxon other than the fact that the pages look less cluttered?

I could go with the newer Saxon books for the middle grades which are supposed to be geared for slower learners. Anyone have experience with those?

Are there other spiral programs I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

CLE has a lot of white space and pictures, it's less 'dense' than Saxon. It's like Saxon in many ways, but feels like less of a burden to get done and implement in our house. We have been able to get full CLE lessons done where in some other programs (MM, I'm looking at YOOOOUUUUU), 2 pages was too many due to visual clutter/spacing. CLE layout rocks :).

• Like 2

Maybe I need to try CLE.

Right now we're pulling a lot from an old copy of Defeating Division, though, which is also very clean and white with lots of extra space for writing. The space is great, but dd still can't get through very much in sheer number of problems. I guess I just need to make peace with that fact and pick something and keep plugging along.

The lessons in CLE could potentially get long but there is so much review that I have no problem cutting out some of the review problems in areas the kids are solid.  It is easy to slow down or accelerate, too.

With what you described, I think CLE might be a great fit.  The beauty is you don't have to buy all the light units at once.  Give her the placement test, since CLE has a bit different introduction of concepts, then maybe just buy the first couple of light units in whatever level she placed into to try it out.  Keep in mind that every beginning light unit for each level after 100 is a review unit of previous concepts and not a good representation of the program.

• Like 2

The new Saxon Course 1, 2, and 3, are more geared to conceptual thinking, and also Common Core Standards. I don't think they are for slow learners. The great thing about them is that they have the adaptation workbooks. You still need the textbooks for the explanations but the problems can be worked out in a workbook. Each problem is given its own space. Very easy on the eyes. I also think some hints are given as well as some basic instructions. I think Rainbow Resource has samples you can look at.

Saxon Algebra 4th edition has the adapations workbook, too. I just happen to have the third edition already.

• Like 2

Yes, I guess it's the Adaptations workbooks I was thinking of. It seems to be a choice between those and CLE, as far as I can tell. I looked at the Adaptations samples a couple of years ago when I last debated this question. I think the hints are good. Have you used those, Tiramisu?

CLE doesn't take long here. We're using 7th grade now, and completed 5th and 6th grade within the last year.

My son without attention issues gets through the entire lesson quickly. He estimates it takes him 15 to 30 minutes. I think that's probably accurate for him.

Some of the problems are quick, and the variety keeps it from feeling burdensome.

His twin has special needs and major attention issues, especially in math. We often cut a few problems that are repeats for him, and he does do his math in two sessions. He does half the lesson, picking whichever problems he wants, before breakfast. He does the other half just after breakfast with me.

CLE is easy to accelerate if she places a bit lower than you hope. Many of us who have done that can make acceleration suggestions.

Someone upthread mentioned that first light unit isn't representative of the program, and that is definitely true. It's intended as a test and practice sort of review of the previous level for kids returning from summer break. If you want to try a couple of units, start with the second (602 or whatever) of the level she tests into. You will want the answer keys as well, and they are purchased separately.

CLE has worked really well for my son who doesn't handle lots of math work well at all. He melted with Math Mammoth, and I always cut problems from Singapore. He likes the variety in CLE, and it makes him feel successful.

Finally, I really like Singapore FAN math word problems books with CLE. We started at a low level to learn the techniques and just worked our way through at our own pace. They are short books, so easy to use as supplements.

• Like 3

sbgrace had a great post.  I wanted to add that if you have vision problems at all, the TM is easier to read and grade from than the answer key, at least for me.  Also, the TM has some good suggestions for additional ways to approach something plus other resources.  I also like having the TM so I can go back to previous explanations/problems in other levels or lessons without having to dig up old used light units.  If you don't think you will need any of that, then just the answer key should work fine.  Definitely get the reference charts.  Really helpful.

• Like 2

Yes, I guess it's the Adaptations workbooks I was thinking of. It seems to be a choice between those and CLE, as far as I can tell. I looked at the Adaptations samples a couple of years ago when I last debated this question. I think the hints are good. Have you used those, Tiramisu?

I haven't used them but I've spent about a trillion hours looking at the samples. haha

• Like 2

My DD has been using Horizon's Math for three years now and loves it. She is a spiral method learner and is doing very well. It is a series of two workbooks that are meant to to written in. I have them spiral bound for her and it makes it easier for her to use. Lots of repetition and with extra practice worksheets at the back of the teacher's manual.

Susie

• Like 3

If you like Saxon, but there are too many problems for your daughter, then just cut the number of problems in half.  I have done this with my kids at different times.  One day we'll do evens and the next day we'll do odds.  I have foster kids in public school and they even do this!  The book isn't your boss- you're the boss :)

• Like 1