Menu

Exercise Thread for March 6-12

Kim in Appalachia

Today I did an hour of yoga.  

I also decided that I need to add strength training back on a regular basis. I love yoga, but I can tell it's just not enough to make up for my obvious muscle weakness issues. So I'm going to add some kettlebell work after 3 of my runs.  Less is more with strength work, so I'm using a plan I own that does only a couple key exercises a day.  There are 5 days, so I'll just keep working though them.  I'm hoping in doing that I don't over do it yet still make some gains.  I don't plan to back off any of the yoga.  I do really need that and truly enjoy it.  

The weather is warming up here, and I cough is getting better.  I'm hoping to get outside tomorrow for my run.  

• Like 3

I woke up this morning to 2 inches of snow, so we are still very firmly in winter. Boo! But, on the bright side, my rowing machine is going to be delivered tomorrow, so I am super excited about that. I skied all day on Saturday, and am feeling it today in my thighs, so my exercise today may just be walking around in Costco.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a rest day. Today, I have a hike planned with ds when he gets home from work, upper body strength training, and Zumba. 

I'm hoping to get out for a short hike with ds11 tomorrow.  The weather is so nice, though I know the trail will be muddy.

I woke up this morning to 2 inches of snow, so we are still very firmly in winter. Boo! But, on the bright side, my rowing machine is going to be delivered tomorrow, so I am super excited about that. I skied all day on Saturday, and am feeling it today in my thighs, so my exercise today may just be walking around in Costco.

Well, you made the best of the snow by skiing. And yay!, a rowing machine.  The rhythm of that looks so peacefull.  That may be the wrong word, but of all the cardio machines that one seems the most Zen, so to speak.  I don't know why.  But if I was able to do it, I think I could lose myself in it's rhythm.  Enjoy. 

Today I went for a 4 mile run, then came home and did 3 sets of deadlifts, push-ups, cleans, and swings, followed by a tabata of snatches, jump squats, and Russian twists.  It felt good, and I don't think I pushed too hard, but just enough.

Tonight is hot yoga.  

• Like 1

Today's training session was a bunch of deadlift variations and a squat variation I had never done before. My lower back is feeling it all. I stretched right after and will get out the foam roller after dinner.

I had wanted to do some intervals on the elliptical between training and picking up dd, but sanity and stretching won!

• Like 1

Tuesday I was able to do an hour of yoga then my son and I went for a 2 mile, very strenuous hike.  It was beautiful. :)

Today I ran 4 miles, then did goblet squats, pull-ups, and single arm kettlebell swings.  Finished with a tabata of high pulls and push presses.  

My body is really feeling the strength work. I am sore in places I haven't felt for a while. :D

• Like 2

Monday, I had intended to do hike, upper body strength, and Zumba, but konked out and didn't get to Zumba.

Tuesday, lower body lifting & 1 hr hike with ds

Today: upper body strength and 1 hr. hike with ds (Went to zumba, but there was a sub instructor, so I came home. It takes me a while to "get" new moves and I don't get that much exercise while i'm trying to learn. So I bagged it. No regrets!) 

Tomorrow: lower body strength/hike (Taking advantage of the awesome weather we're having and a ds who likes to hike with me!) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Thursday was 90 minutes of hot yoga

Friday was a 4 mile run, followed by single leg deadlifts, presses, and swings.

It was a rough morning.  My son went for his driver's test today.  He didn't pass.  During parking, he went forward to much, over a small curb, tapping the retaining wall. He was so upset and disappointed. This all followed last night, when he realized that he had last his wallet, which had his permit and debit card in it. :(   

Tues: 3 mile walk, stretching out my back from the previous day's lifting

Wed: killer upper body session w trainer; sprints on the elliptical

Thurs: sprints on the bike at noon; bodyweight bootcamp class at 6

Fri: nice 3 mile walk again, enjoying the beautiful weather

Sat will be a day off, but I'll be doing yardwork :)

• Like 1

Thu- hike outside in the nice weather and part of my lower body workout

Today: 4 different cardio machines at the gym (so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind; no one could hike with me today and I am not comfortable hiking alone) plus upper body strength training

Tomorrow: hopefully a hike and lower body strength training

• Like 3

5.5 mile run today, followed by 3 rounds of push-ups, pull-ups, and planks.

This weather is so nuts.  When I folded my workout clothes from the wash, I had in one week, warm tights and plush half zip, knickers and a light, long sleeve top, and shorts and short sleeve shirt.  Today was another shorts with short sleeve day.  I was a nice, but slightly difficult run.  I lost a lot of fitness from when I had a cold, and it always feels hard to get it back.  

On a different note, this past Thursday I had decided to go to Dick's and get some new running shorts.  I've owned numerous brands of shorts over the past 8 years of running, and Nike Tempo don't seem to chafe.  They don't fit me well, which is why I keep trying other brands.  They are baggy in all of the wrong places, but not chafing is more important than how they look :p  They were a decent deal, buy one get one 50% off, which meant I could throw out an old pair I had and still have 4 pairs of shorts for running.  I also bought 2 new sport bras, Reeboxs were on sale, bringing the price down to what I normally pay at Target.

But when I got done I had decided I really wanted and was going to go buy the Run Swiftly tech from Lulumon.  There is a store in Knoxville.  I don't normally spend that much, and I usually buy from Gap or  Athleta (and from them, only on sale) because I have coupons/points from our CC. But I was engaging in a bit of retail therapy and decided to drive to the store to buy the shirt.  As I pulled into the parking lot my phone starting dinging with text messages.  They were from Gap.  I had earned $240 in coupons, and they chose that moment to let me know.  Needless to say, I didn't get my Run Swiftly tech shirt, but when I got home I ordered what I wanted from Athleta, and didn't worry that it wasn't on sale. I ordered 2 t-shirts, and light half-zip, a yoga tank, and running capris :)  Serious retail therapy, and it didn't cost me much at all. :D

It's the first time I've spent all of our points on me.  All year, they have went towards the boys school uniforms and clothes for my dd18.  We make out well with those points.  It was a bit of a thrill to spend that much on myself and not feel guilty. 

• Like 2

Dh and I hiked for an hour with the hound. That is always an extra adventure! 

I did my hamstring stretches when we got home. That is progress for me. 

Lower body workout still looms ahead. Gym closes at 4:00 on Saturdays, so I will have to get going soon. 

• Like 2