Menu

Critique my 9th grade plan?

We have decided to formally hold DD back. This past year (what should have been her 9th grade year) we concentrated pretty heavily on undoing some math damage and working on her language arts. Between the dyslexia and her August birthday (which means she only makes the cut-off by a couple weeks), it's what we think is best. 

So, we'll be officially doing 9th grade this upcoming year. 

Math - Daily, twice weekly with tutor for 2 hours, other days homework assigned by tutor

Algebra II with a tutor (small group class; 3 students including her) or in a co-op

English Daily

Blackbird and Co Composition

Apples and Pears Spelling

Memoria Press' "As You Like It"

Memoria Press' "The Iliad & The Odyssey" w/the DVDs

Blackbird and Co literature guides for 3 additional novels, slightly below grade level

Christian Studies - 1 day weekly

Dorothy Mills "The Ancient World"

My Catholic Faith Delivered: Introduction to Catholicism

Classical Studies 3 days weekly

Dorothy Mills' "The Book of the Ancient Greeks"

Dorothy Mills' "The Book of the Ancient Romans"

American/Modern Studies - Geography every morning during Morning Meeting; Gov/Econ twice weekly

Memoria Press Geography IV

Uncle Eric's "Nature of Government" - SEMESTER 1

Uncle Eric's Economics - SEMESTER 2

Science - 2 days weekly, plus weekend labs with Dad

Novare's Introduction to Physics 

She does recitation and art appreciation during Morning Meeting with her brothers. Does this look at least "okay"? Extracurriculars are chess club (she helps coach younger kids and participates with the older kids) and art class. 

• Like 1

We are starting 9th grade this fall, so no BTDT and questioning my own 9th grade plans.

We have used MP quite a bit, though mostly orally. DS has a physical disability that makes writing a chore. Wanted to chime in agreement with above and say to feel free to modify their books as needed. We love MP, but no way could we ever use as directly intended.

I am glad you mentioned Blackbird and Co., as I am off to look at their website again.

I think it's great you decided to hold back and give your dd time to grow into her work. I know you all have had some difficult schooling years.

My questions would be about math and science.

-- Algebra II sounds advanced for 9th grade. In my area, it would most typically be a 10 th grade course, though that varies, obviously.

-- doing math for 2 hours at a time is a lot. Also having a tutor gap between days can be very difficult if kid reaches a roadblock. (Did I understand this correctly?) I can't remember if you or dh is able to spend time on math (as a back up to tutor). I have seen more than I would like of kids who diligently complete math assignments on their own, but make some mistake or other repeatedly, with no feedback. Btdt.

-- physics. That is a challenging field, but I cannot remember what your dd's science background is. Would physical science be a possibility? Or biology?

But overall, I have to say that I am always impressed by the care and effort you put into your kids study plans, especially taking pains to get a good fit between curriculum and students. It's not easy!

I think it's great you decided to hold back and give your dd time to grow into her work. I know you all have had some difficult schooling years.

My questions would be about math and science.

-- Algebra II sounds advanced for 9th grade. In my area, it would most typically be a 10 th grade course, though that varies, obviously. I would agree, but do remember that she's doing a light 9th grade right now :) She will be finished with Algebra I by next fall.

-- doing math for 2 hours at a time is a lot. Also having a tutor gap between days can be very difficult if kid reaches a roadblock. (Did I understand this correctly?) I can't remember if you or dh is able to spend time on math (as a back up to tutor). I have seen more than I would like of kids who diligently complete math assignments on their own, but make some mistake or other repeatedly, with no feedback. Btdt. The tutor definitely allows for breaks - DD isn't the only one in the small group who needs one. DH's degrees are in science and math related fields, so he can definitely serve as back-up... just not as primary, lol.

-- physics. That is a challenging field, but I cannot remember what your dd's science background is. Would physical science be a possibility? Or biology? Novare's sequence is "physics first" and doesn't assume much more than the most basic algebra. Since it's also DH's speciality, she *should* be okay. I'm totally okay with changing that if she can't handle it, though. 

But overall, I have to say that I am always impressed by the care and effort you put into your kids study plans, especially taking pains to get a good fit between curriculum and students. It's not easy!

I'm not sure how you're setting up your days, but it seems like it would be hard to do a full credit in a subject in just two/three days a week. Maybe you are going to do several-hour blocks of a subject on those days?

Yes! I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that. She will not be doing every subject (other than math and English) daily - but will not be doing the twice weekly classes for only an hour (2-3 hours per class on that class' "day"). 

Edited by AimeeM