Menu

If you could only have one read aloud for the Civil War, what would it be?

Sweet Charlotte

My Civil War buff boys were stopped in their tracks by this question - too much good stuff to choose from! After thorough discussion, we recommend Rifles for Watie. Close runners-up were Across Five Aprils (shorter and my favorite) and With Lee in Virginia (definite southern slant). If you need any more recommendations, let me know!

My Civil War buff boys were stopped in their tracks by this question - too much good stuff to choose from! After thorough discussion, we recommend Rifles for Watie. Close runners-up were Across Five Aprils (shorter and my favorite) and With Lee in Virginia (definite southern slant). If you need any more recommendations, let me know!

:iagree: We really liked the southern slant of With Lee in Virginia.

:iagree: We really liked the southern slant of With Lee in Virginia.

We did too, which is funny since we're Yankees from New York and all. We started our study with some pretty strong black/white opinions. But the more we study, the more we realize that there wasn't one clear "right" side. That's pretty much all you hear up here - slavery was wrong, the north was fighting against slavery, the south was fighting to keep slavery, therefore the right side won. We were all pretty astonished to find it wasn't quite that simple!