Menu

The delayed option would never work for us, personally. To my mind, I'm paying for interaction - interaction between my student and the teacher and also interaction between the students. I can find all sorts of recorded stuff, online videos & such. I wouldn't be willing to pay $500 plus for that. Also, with the delayed option, you are still held accountable to the same deadlines. Work is due when it is due. As far as absences go, if we miss a class, we let the teacher know in advance and always listen to the recording promptly. My daughter went skiing for a week earlier this month. After letting the teacher know in advance that she wouldn't be there, she missed two writing classes, but listened & made up the work over the weekend. Next year, she is going to France for 10 days with grandparents, but I insisted they go in late-May after WTMA classes are finished. She will have three online classes next year and that is just too much to try to make-up upon return. YMMV.

• Like 1

I have dd signed up for the delayed option of her class because we travel often. Her instructor allows her to participate in the real lectures whenever she is able and she has the delayed option for when we do not have internet or are on a plane during actual lesson time. So, it really is the best of both worlds. She gets the interaction with the other students/instructor the majority of the time. We discuss times we will be traveling with the instructor and dd either does the work ahead of time or makes up the work depending on which is easier for the instructor each time.

Ds, 13, is in AOPS PreAlg through WTMA now.

I second the opinion that, as long as you are paying for it, you should make use of the interaction of the live class if possible.

With advance notice, your student can miss class without penalty. However, I will tell you that the first few months of the AOPS class were very time-consuming for ds (8-10 hours a week for awhile in addition to class time). I would not have wanted to be traveling or have him otherwise distracted during that time. He really needed the live classes to be able to ask the questions he had. We also had a couple of 'class time' appointments with the teacher to help him in areas where he was stuck.

AOPS is a whole new way of thinking for a number of kids, plus ds had not done an online class with deadlines, grades & accountability before so really struggled with getting things done on time & in the desired format, etc. It was quite a learning curve.

He is through that and the class is not taking as much time now, but you may want to ensure that your student is going to have the focused time necessary for this class. I think the Saxon PreAlg class is also supposed to be quite good but not so time-intensive.

HTH.