Menu

Ebay return question and advise needed

Tohru

How does a return work when the seller states they don't accept returns? I bought a set of books that came with a small stuffed animal. The seller shipped media mail, even though there was a non-media item.

It arrived smelling like mildew and overall the condition was not as advertised. This was not a small purchase, it cost $175.

I contacted the seller about the condition, who told me they do not accept returns and would not offer a refund. I told him I'd like to send it back, and he said he'd refuse the package and would not give me a refund. Again I explained that the books smelled like mildew and wasn't sure what to do. He did not respond, but I received notice from Ebay that the seller had sent me a postage paid label for the return....

Now, I'm really not sure what to do!

The postage label is for priority shipping and it is a 14lb package. It will cost about $50-$60 to ship Priority. Who pays for this? Can the seller back charge me for the postage? Could I send the stuffed animal back with the Priority postage paid label and then pay out of pocket to send the books back media mail (2 packages)? I'd rather not anyone have to pay that much in shipping if it can be avoided.

If I send it back, will I get a full refund or will it be up to the seller that has already told me several times he wont refund? And if he does refund, can he deduct the return shipping cost? Is there anything I should do to protect myself from loosing out on the books and the money.

Oh yeah, the return label is to a PO Box.

What should I do?

Return it using the postage paid Priority label, return it in 2 packages, try to resell it to some one that doesn't care about the smell?

• Like 1

File with paypal, item not as described.

That's if he won't communicate with you on the return.

I wouldn't send the item back without having some email or proof that he's promised your money back. Also, keep the tracking number when you do send it back so you know it got to him and can prove that.

Edited by JodiSue

File with paypal, item not as described.

That's if he won't communicate with you on the return.

I wouldn't send the item back without having some email or proof that he's promised your money back. Also, keep the tracking number when you do send it back so you know it got to him and can prove that.

File an "Item Not as Described" case with Ebay.  He will then be forced to take it back and pay for the return shipping as well.  I'm a long time seller on Ebay.  Ebay will always side with the buyer in a case like this.  In the case of "item not as described", there's really no way, as an Ebay seller, to have a no returns policy.  Depending upon the item's value, the seller may choose to just give you a refund and tell you to keep it.  That would save them the cost of the return shipping.

As the other poster stated, don't ship it back until he agrees to receive it and provides you a shipping label for it or pays you the cost of the return shipping.

• Like 1

File an "Item Not as Described" case with Ebay.  He will then be forced to take it back and pay for the return shipping as well.  I'm a long time seller on Ebay.  Ebay will always side with the buyer in a case like this.  In the case of "item not as described", there's really no way, as an Ebay seller, to have a no returns policy.  Depending upon the item's value, the seller may choose to just give you a refund and tell you to keep it.  That would save them the cost of the return shipping.

As the other poster stated, don't ship it back until he agrees to receive it and provides you a shipping label for it or pays you the cost of the return shipping.

Thank you. I actually did file with Ebay that the item was not as described and he said he wouldn't refund or accept my return, but then I got the postage paid Priority shipping label.

I'm just worried he will withhold the cost of return shipping, plus since it's so heavy, I feel like I could send it media mail for way cheaper. Can he withhold the return shipping cost from the refund?

Would it be okay to send the books back media mail even though he sent the Priority label? I could send the stuffed animal with the Priority label.

And he is a power-seller so I keep thinking he must know a way to rip me off.

have you contacted ebay?  the item is not as described, and not useable.  doesn't matter if she doesn't accept returns - she needs to make this good.

did you pay through paypal?  also open a dispute with them.

From my understanding, the seller is not obligated to pay for the return shipping in an item not as described (INAD) case. You will get your refund from eBay/PayPal (assuming they side with you, which they should). I have needed to file two INAD eBay cases......one time eBay offered to pay return ship, the other time I was stuck paying for it. Sellers *should* pay for return shipping in an INAD case, but they don't have to. They are required to refund original payment in full (for item cost plus original ship to you), but not return shipping.

I don't think the seller can withhold any amount of the refund.....you will get a full refund. PayPal often holds the funds and then automatically refunds when the package is received.

As for shipping, would he be willing to ship the stuffed animal back priority or first class (which would be cheaper), and then media mail? It would be most cost effective that way. Just be sure that you get delivery confirmation on the media mail; otherwise you have no proof of delivery (he could say he never got them, and you wouldn't get your refund).

Based upon my experience as a seller and many similar accounts from related FB groups, a seller does have to pay return shipping as part of an INAD case.  If he sent you a valid shipping label, I would go ahead and use it.  If he tries to take the return shipping out of the refund once he receives the item(s), you'll need to get in touch with Ebay to have it resolved.  I'm very confident that you won't have to pay the return shipping.

Edited by Dad 4 Boys