Menu

Ordering glasses online- how did you obtain your PD?

bodiesmom

I'm in the middle of trying to order sports glasses for my ds, and am wondering what other's experience has been in obtaining the pupillary distance measurement for the glasses. Our former optometrist we had before we relocated was always able to just give us the measurements over the phone, meaning they had it in their charts from previous appointments. Our new one here doesn't keep the info on record (no biggie really) and required us to make a trip in to get the measurement. When I came to get the measurement, I received a passive aggressive lecture on how most offices don't give this info out and that she was doing me a great favor. So.....if most offices don't give this info out, how does everyone get it for online ordering?

I just used a ruler and my son took the measurement. The site I used walked me through it. They also have a picture upload and you can do it from there as well. I got it right because my glasses are perfect. But my son's were not but they changed them for him. (no charge) And then he went to the eye dr. and the optician took the measurement for $20.00! We saved 10 times that in the cost of his glasses.

• Like 1

I would be irritated to get the passive aggressive lecture.  My eye doc takes it when I buy glasses and the few times we've bought elsewhere he's been happy to include it in the prescription. We always walk out with a prescription even if we buy glasses from him in case we need it in an emergency- or like when dd studied in Japan.  He wanted her to have it in case she needed to replace her glasses. 

I guess if he's not taking it at your eye appointment then you have to pay for it. But it seems petty on his part- lots of people buy from Zenni or other places because it's cheaper - and not providing the PD is clearly a way to show his displeasure.   

• Like 2

Good to know there are other manners in which to obtain the PD. Thank you for sharing!

I did request the prescription at their appt and assumed the PD would be on there. I was surprised when it wasn't because...well why wouldn't it be on there, really. i agree, it's petty.

I'm assuming the doctor charged the $20 because that was the only service. I hope they didn't charge you for it on top of a regular exam. 🤔

For the record, this is the same doc who tried to sell me on all the bells and whistles he possibly could come up with, including transition lenses for a kid who only needs to wear them for reading. I was already planning on finding a new doc for our next exam, and this latest stunt just made it even more so of a done deal.

• Like 1