Menu

Algebra 2 for an average student?

I am trying to decide what Algebra 2 program to use with my non-mathy, non-math intuitive dd next year. For Algebra 1 she used Foerster, but it took a year and half, and now (a year later), she couldn't pass the placement test for TT's Algebra 2. We're working through the concepts in the problems she missed, and she's remembering them fairly quickly, but I don't think she's up for Alg 2 w/Foerster.

Right now, I'm looking at Lial, Teaching Textbooks, or TabletClass for her. Lial is the book our local community college uses for the class preceding College Algebra. However, right now she's using TT for Geometry and likes having the program give a mini-lecture. She'd like either TT or TC, but when I compare ToCs both look like they cover less material than Lial. I guess I could have her do one of those programs and then do chapter tests in Lial and fill in gaps that way. Alternatively, I could have her do Lial and use Khan for lectures on topics she doesn't quite get. 

I know that she'd prefer either TT or TC, but I want to be sure she'll be able to do College Algebra at the cc her senior year. At most, her future major will require College Algebra, Plane Trig, Calculas, a stats course, a semester of physics, and 3 semesters of chemistry. Any opinions? Again, she is NOT math intuitive, so I can't imagine she'd automatically fill in gaps on her own.

Have you looked at Holt? 

We started on the Holt 2007 math series thanks to some great help and advice from Jann in Texas. It is generally easy to find the text and teacher guide used. 

I love that the teacher's editions have a pacing guide (should this section take one day or two).

And, in each section, there is an assignment guide for basic, average, and advanced. It's pretty simple to choose one of those and then add/subtract problems. 

It gets lots of good reviews here, but I personally didn't care for Lial's. The explanations are too wordy and, imo, needlessly complicated.  

I've never used the other choices. 

Edited to add that there are DVDs for the Holt series, and you can also often find the videos online at their site, but my kids never cared to watch them, too time-consuming. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

If she likes TT, I would let her stick with it. Just use the second edition. They updated their scope and sequence to be more standard.

If she is having trouble getting into TT Algebra 2, Lial's is a great transition program because it teaches every concept from the beginning. It doesn't just have a review chapter or two then move on, at the beginning of EVERY chapter, they cover the concept from the beginning. Everything typically covered in Algebra 1 is usually taught in the first section, maybe the first two sections, then Algebra 2 level concepts and more complex problems come in, in the next 2-4 sections (different chapters are different lengths). She could probably start immediately with Lial's with no review, but it may be slow going. Then again, she may speed through the reviews since she already really did cover the material and it may be just the thing!

• Like 1

You might want to look into a textbook on beginning & intermediate algebra. It will be aimed at college students who need extra review before college algebra. It will cover algebra 1 briefly but focus on content from algebra 2.

Eta: Martin-Gay has a great edition available used really cheap. She has recorded solutions to every problem (yes, she actually checked every problem!).

Edited by Mike in SA
  • Like 1

For my Alg2 students this year, who needed serious review, we started with a good Alg1 text (one often used in honors classes), and worked through the beginning quickly, doing a few problems in a section then an assessment. Then we slowed down when we got to topics that were new and/or needed more work. When we finish this text, we will move to the Alg2 text in the series, and similarly speed through the initial sections that are mostly review of the Alg 1 text, then do selected topics. This gave them the opportunity to work through the Alg1 topics again at a higher level than their prior courses used, as well as folding in some Alg2 topics. Basically, with math, I've found that the best approach is usually to meet the student where they are, and proceed at a pace they can handle.

• Like 1

The best math program is the one the student connects with -- in this case, it sounds like Teaching Textbooks is your best choice. And the best way to learn higher maths is to take as much time as it takes for the individual student -- if that means 1 semester, 1 year, 1.5 years, or 2 years for one level of math -- do it. You cannot rush getting a solid math foundation.

Also, it is pointless to push ahead into higher maths if the student isn't getting the lower level -- all of these higher maths build on one another, so the student will just become increasingly lost and frustrated if you don't take the time the student needs to really grasp the lower level of the math.

PLEASE don't stress yourself or your student with the idea that she *needs* "...to be able to do College Algebra at the CC her senior year." Just, no. Take that off the table right now, and let the future take care of itself. Allow DD the time to work and learn at her pace, and have her complete both Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus with TT (you can work through the summers if needed). That will give her the very solid foundation she needs for then being prepared to take College Algebra IN COLLEGE.

There is also a very high likelihood that DD may change her major once in college (well over half of all college undergrads *radically* switch majors at least once), and she may end up not even needing those higher maths. And even if she does end up needing them, taking those higher maths in college will allow those portions of her brain to have further developed to be able to tackle the maths easier -- esp. if she has the very solid un-rushed foundation of high school maths. :)

Just my 2 cents worth! BEST of luck in matching up DD with the math program that works best for her! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

Thank you all for the feedback! I'll check into the other suggested texts and see if any of those click for her. I decided to have her do the placement tests for Algebra 2 at Khan, and now she's working through their suggestions for review. I can have her re-do the TT placement test when she's done with that. I may have her do one of the early sample lessons on the TT website as well. I'm mildly afraid that she's okay with TT because it's Geometry instead of Algebra. ;)

Thank you so much for the encouragement and for the specific suggestions. They are very helpful.   :)