Menu

PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc when should which be taken

I know the local high school told me yesterday the PSAT is being given on Weds. Oct. 15th during school hours. (it was on a Sat. last year???) I think you can take the PSAT any year you want but that for the Natl Merit Scholarships students need to be juniors. Sign ups are already necessary for this - and poss. too late???

I have a related question - that hopefully those who respond to your question can answer. I called two schools yesterday, a private and a public high school. Both said basically, "We don't know if we have enough tests for our own students so we'll get back to you." We only ordered enough for our students. The local high school said something like "we are requiring all our juniors to take this test this year" - and judging on what I saw last year (at the same school) when we took this test - this is a new policy. That same high school said that the school offered the tests for juniors and then allowed sophomores to sign up, giving me the impression that it was first come-first served? (and that one of my dtrs being a jr. meant nothing to them in terms of priority). Also, how hard is it (iow wouldn't they do it for their own students?) to order more tests???

What I'm wondering is "if they can do this?" - i.e. just tell my dtr she can't take the test because they didn't order enough. (I'm guessing they can, but hoping they can't???)

Lisaj

I know the local high school told me yesterday the PSAT is being given on Weds. Oct. 15th during school hours. (it was on a Sat. last year???)

Some schools offer it on Wednesdays; others on Saturdays. You need to check with the schools in question.

I think you can take the PSAT any year you want but that for the Natl Merit Scholarships students need to be juniors.

Yes, for National Merit consideration your students must be a junior.

I have a related question ...

What I'm wondering is "if they can do this?" - i.e. just tell my dtr she can't take the test because they didn't order enough. (I'm guessing they can, but hoping they can't???)

Sad to say, they can indeed choose not to let your daughter test if they wish. It's helpful to start early in finding a school that accepts other students. I've heard that spring of the previous school year might be the time to start.

And back to Mrs. Readsalot (fun name!),

You might find this previous thread of interest

Navigation Help Needed! : PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, Honors, CLEP, Regents. . . oh my! .

My teen's testing history:

10th grade:

SAT practice tests at home

AP US History test

SAT subject test in US History

National Latin Exam

11th grade:

PSAT

SAT

two SAT subject tests (Latin and Math level 2)

AP Latin

AP Comparative Politics and Government

National Latin Exam

11th grade was pretty intense; however, she has hopes of going to a somewhat selective four year college and will need merit/financial aid.

Regards,

Kareni

I know the local high school told me yesterday the PSAT is being given on Weds. Oct. 15th during school hours. (it was on a Sat. last year???) I think you can take the PSAT any year you want but that for the Natl Merit Scholarships students need to be juniors. Sign ups are already necessary for this - and poss. too late???

I have a related question - that hopefully those who respond to your question can answer. I called two schools yesterday, a private and a public high school. Both said basically, "We don't know if we have enough tests for our own students so we'll get back to you." We only ordered enough for our students. The local high school said something like "we are requiring all our juniors to take this test this year" - and judging on what I saw last year (at the same school) when we took this test - this is a new policy. That same high school said that the school offered the tests for juniors and then allowed sophomores to sign up, giving me the impression that it was first come-first served? (and that one of my dtrs being a jr. meant nothing to them in terms of priority). Also, how hard is it (iow wouldn't they do it for their own students?) to order more tests???

Lisaj

can you call any other schools?

In my district, the signup deadline was September 19th. They have actually had a system in place for hsers for several years. All hsers in the district are tested together in one room rather than being mixed in with the ps kids that all know each other. I didn't have any difficulties with getting my dd signed up, but I've found my district to be easy to deal with.

Update - the high school called back after a week (the counselor was apologetic that she had written my number down wrong and had been trying to call me).

But the call back was very accomodating. Either I caught the counselor offguard the first time or read her wrong (or someone instructed her to be accomodating to me).

I had called a private school who had the identical response as the high school "we only ordered so many, we only have enough for our students".

Interesting, the last call I made to the high school was to the counselor's assistant and she used the phrase "I need to check, but I am sure we can order more tests for your daughters and they can take it."

I may be easily annoyed but neither the counselor nor the private school person I talked to even mentioned that option. (of ordering more tests - which I do *not* think they needed to do.)

Thanks, Lisaj

Edited by 74Heaven
or is really "of" in last ( ).

Update - the high school called back after a week (the counselor was apologetic that she had written my number down wrong and had been trying to call me).

But the call back was very accommodating. Either I caught the counselor off guard the first time or read her wrong (or someone instructed her to be accommodating to me). ...

Well, that sounds promising! I hope that things are looking up and that the test day will go smoothly ....

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the reminder. I called the local high school and they simply asked that I bring $13 by the counselor's office this week and have my daughter at the school by 8am on test day :)

I hope she does well on this test!

I was surprised this year to have any trouble since I started a month before. Last year we called a week before and got in no problem.

And btw, our district

Lisaj

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ALICIA21
Sad to say, they can indeed choose not to let your daughter test if they wish. It's helpful to start early in finding a school that accepts other students. I've heard that spring of the previous school year might be the time to start.

And back to Mrs. Readsalot (fun name!),

You might find this previous thread of interest

Navigation Help Needed! : PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, Honors, CLEP, Regents. . . oh my! .

My teen's testing history:

10th grade:

SAT practice tests at home

AP US History test

SAT subject test in US History

National Latin Exam

11th grade:

PSAT

SAT

two SAT subject tests (Latin and Math level 2)

AP Latin

AP Comparative Politics and Government

National Latin Exam

11th grade was pretty intense; however, she has hopes of going to a somewhat selective four year college and will need merit/financial aid.

Regards,

Kareni

It is a pain, however these are the steps that need to be taken in order to get into the college they want

Lisaj

Our local HS did this last year too and my then 11th grader didn't end up taking it. This year the lady was very friendly and open to it and my 10th grader is taking it.