Menu

Seeking online Japanese for 2016-2017 school year

Does anyone know of any providers offering Japanese 1 as an online class this fall? I know Landry Academy is offering it, but I can't find any other options. Does anyone know of any classes? We are specifically looking for a classroom option versus a tutoring arrangement.

CLRC is not offering Japanese this fall. Neither is The Potter's School. Ds has conflicts with both sections of Japanese 1 offered by Landry. Are there any other options?

My daughter is taking it through BYU. The high school level course, not the college credit. We have the teacher-assisted course but it is a glorified at-your-own-pace setup. I would rather have a more traditional class and feel that she would progress more quickly if that were the case.

Edited by Vida Winter

My DD is also taking it from BYU. It is definitely independent study, and you have to pace yourself. There is a conversation cafe online to practice speaking, and you have required live speaking appointments with the instructor.

I think it is a good option, but a live class with regular deadlines would be nice.

I just noticed on another thread that Oregon State offers online classes for high school students. I checked and they offer Japanese. Wanted to pass along the link incase anyone else might be interested. http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/k12/hs/classes.htm#2 This may be a good option for my ds. 

Knowing the importance of deadlines in my son's life makes me very hesitant to go with BYU. I'm afraid he would never finish if we went the independent study route.

Edited by Mom2boys

With CLRC, you may just have to email Anne Van Fossen. If there is enough interest, they will open up a class. Dr. Godwin taught Japanese at CLRC, but his schedule is now impacted due to his postdoc work, but if there are enough kids for a class, he may be able to teach it. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent an email and am waiting to hear back.