Menu

Worksheets for Saxon. 5/4

cagirlintexas

There are (or there used to be, at least) something called a workbook for special populations (or something like that).  I never saw it, but a complaint about it was that it "helped" too much with word problems.  It didn't just leave a blank space, but had things to fill in that helped the child set up the problem.  I didn't consider it because of this.

You could do what I did, which was to copy the problems myself (it took just a few minutes to copy a week's worth).  I just left blank spaces for the word problems.

Sitting here looking at the books and realizing that my son will have to rewrite every problem to answer it. Any chance there are worksheets any where? He hates writing.

I just bough the program yesterday and realized the same thing. I have almost decided just to let her write in the book and not worry about reselling it.

Susie

• Like 1

Copying the problems hasn't been a big issue for us and my kiddo isn't in love with writing either.  But, he pretty much has to copy the problems somewhere else in order to have room to do some of the long division and other arithmetic.  There are also a lot of problems that don't necessitate copying, so that helps some.

We use graph paper and that helps him keep things neat and legible and "in line".

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 1

It hasn't been an issue for mine either. I was worried at first but it was fine. Dd9  uses a scrap piece of paper to work the problems and then writes the answer in her notebook.

In the test and worksheets book there is a page you can copy. It is like graph paper with a box for problem 1 etc if they need that help. I couldn't imagine making that many copies of it, but if you needed to...

Edited by Mom2Five

We use graph paper and that helps him keep things neat and legible and "in line".

One of my sons uses graph paper for this purpose, too.  It has worked out very well.

FWIW, there is a real benefit to writing out the problems, I think. Since we used Horizons, my older son didn't have to do this at all until he did Saxon Algebra 1/2.   It was hard for him -- hard to learn how to space things & how to arrange things on a paper.  His early Saxon papers had problems all over the page -- he felt he needed to squish all 30 problems onto one side of one sheet of paper.  It would be numbered every which way, and I had to search the page for the next problem because they often weren't in a logical order.  Now, I'm sure most kids are not as extreme as my son, but I surely wish I had gotten him doing this sort of thing earlier in his homeschool career so it wouldn't have been such a struggle.    It took more than a year and several books before he was able to write out his own math problems in a neat and logical manner, with ample white space throughout.

• Like 2

One of my sons uses graph paper for this purpose, too. It has worked out very well.

FWIW, there is a real benefit to writing out the problems, I think. Since we used Horizons, my older son didn't have to do this at all until he did Saxon Algebra 1/2. It was hard for him -- hard to learn how to space things & how to arrange things on a paper. His early Saxon papers had problems all over the page -- he felt he needed to squish all 30 problems onto one side of one sheet of paper. It would be numbered every which way, and I had to search the page for the next problem because they often weren't in a logical order. Now, I'm sure most kids are not as extreme as my son, but I surely wish I had gotten him doing this sort of thing earlier in his homeschool career so it wouldn't have been such a struggle. It took more than a year and several books before he was able to write out his own math problems in a neat and logical manner, with ample white space throughout.

Yes, we did go through this adjustment this year when we started with 5/4. It took an unreasonable amount of convincing that he could (and should!) use a generous amount of space for each problem and he could have more paper if he needed, and not every problem needed to be crammed on one line. But the results we have now with his math papers are worth it.

• Like 2