Menu

Order of middle school sciences?

dori123

Hi all: 

I am new to homeschooling and the forum, but have learned so much just by lurking. I am planning to homeschool in the fall for my 6th- and 7th-grade kids. I have seen a lot of great suggestions for science curricula, but no discussions yet on how to order the sciences. 

I have been reading that Physics > Chemistry > Biology is the "new" preferred line-up, and exactly opposite the traditional order. Just soliciting opinions as to what worked / what didn't work, and why. 

Thanks in advance!

The new physics, chem, bio path is great for STEM high schoolers. Physics helps with chem, and since biochem is growing chem before bio makes more sense. Bio was typically done first to let math catch up, since it doesn't require math. Physics and chem can be done with algebra, or you can get "conceptual" courses that are low on math.

The middle school versions, however, generally aren't going to get deep enough for the order to really matter. I'd go with whatever the kids are interested in, and encourage curiosity and wonder.

• Like 1

My favorite part of homeschooling middle school is that you can do pretty much whatever you want :D

We started in fifth grade, and I let dd choose the science every year:

5th: earth science (so much fun)

6th: life science

7th: a mishmash of topics including astronomy, geology, botany, genetics, and a bit of electricity (that was a great science year)

8th: she was ready for high school algebra-based physics (both in the math and science)

Happy planning :party:

• Like 1

My preference is earth then life followed by a very solid physical science course. The physical science course will provide students with enough physics and chemistry to move on to biology in 9th, followed by chemistry and physics (not conceptual).

We did a little of everything every year because that is what my boys wanted. They are not interested in a year of physics only or chemistry only or biology only. It feels less disjointed to them to do everything every year.

They did geometry with algebra too because they are bored with just algebra.

Middle school science is a nice time to let your child go for interest led science since there is no box to check at this stage compared to high school years.

• Like 1