Menu

Art of Argument placement question

DS12 is entering 7th grade and will be taking his first online course this year.  Our desire is Logic, and Art of Argument looks like our choice.  However, although English grammar and reading are not a problem, he has only completed two years of IEW material, so may be "behind the curve" in terms of writing skill.

Will this hold him back in AOA?  Or should we not worry and go ahead with registration?

Edited by purduemeche

While I can't speak for any outside class, the book Art of Argument doesn't require much in the way of composition skills. Most of it is just answering questions, but there may be a paragraph here or there. (It's been four years since my teens used it; my memory may be foggy.)

If you're concerned about the class having higher expectations than what's actually in the book I'd email the teacher.

• Like 1

I'll echo Silvermoon on emailing the teacher since I've never outsourced AoA. This is the second time I've used the materials with a small group of kids (7th-8th grade) and composition skills are not necessary. I used it with my reluctant writer dd#1 a couple of years ago. We go through it in a semester, so we clip along at a quick pace, but most of the writing is short answer - or just a paragraph, unless the teacher chooses to assign longer writing compositions than what is shown in the text.

It depends on what the instructor asks for.  You could easily do Art of Argument at home with the DVDs and not do it as an on line course.  We are currently doing it as a co-op class and I am not requiring the additional research and essays.  I can tell you it is dd's favorite subject this year (7th grade too).

• Like 1