Menu

What are your favorite variations of the plank?

Laurie4b

I do straight arm planks usually. Just works different part of your core than forearm.

I also like getting in plank position and lifting one leg for a given number of seconds, then swapping and doing the other side. I have also done these alternating without holding, just right leg up, then down, left leg up, then down pattern, good for your glutes.

Another, plank position then alternate tapping the opposite shoulder with your hand (right hand taps left, then left goes to right), good for balance and engaging your core. 

I think that is as exciting as my planks get! lol

• Like 1

I like walking planks (alternating between forearm and straight arm planks). The Bring Sally Up Plank Challenge is great for that -- example here:

. You can also do all sorts of variations on this: Straight arm plank into down-facing dog on the "ups" to take a quick break (this is a good one to start with), straight arm planks into chaturanga push-ups, squats (stand to rest on the "ups"). Google for more ideas.

I also like reverse planks; they engage a completely different set of muscles:

. Make sure to keep your hips up; you should feel your shoulders engage immediately.

Can you side plank with one knee down? That takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Then you can do things like Thread the Needle (with or without weights) to get the benefit for your obliques. Here's a video:

. As an alternative, you can do something similar with a straight arm plank: Put a light weight (kettlebell is easiest if you have one) beside you. Reach through with the opposite hand and pull it underneath your body to set it on the other side. Repeat with your other hand. Concentrate on keeping your hips perfectly still.

If you want an extra challenge on a regular plank, use a medicine ball(s) either for your feet or your hands. Really adds to the difficulty level of stabilizing your body. You can up it again by passing one medicine ball back and forth between your hands. Or, if you have access to them at a gym, you can plank with your feet in TRX suspension straps.

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 2

I like walking planks (alternating between forearm and straight arm planks). The Bring Sally Up Plank Challenge is great for that -- example here:

. You can also do all sorts of variations on this: Straight arm plank into down-facing dog on the "ups" to take a quick break (this is a good one to start with), straight arm planks into chaturanga push-ups, squats (stand to rest on the "ups"). Google for more ideas.

I also like reverse planks; they engage a completely different set of muscles:

. Make sure to keep your hips up; you should feel your shoulders engage immediately.

Can you side plank with one knee down? That takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Then you can do things like Thread the Needle (with or without weights) to get the benefit for your obliques. Here's a video:

. As an alternative, you can do something similar with a straight arm plank: Put a light weight (kettlebell is easiest if you have one) beside you. Reach through with the opposite hand and pull it underneath your body to set it on the other side. Repeat with your other hand. Concentrate on keeping your hips perfectly still.

If you want an extra challenge on a regular plank, use a medicine ball(s) either for your feet or your hands. Really adds to the difficulty level of stabilizing your body. You can up it again by passing one medicine ball back and forth between your hands. Or, if you have access to them at a gym, you can plank with your feet in TRX suspension straps.

Thanks---and the promised bonus points for the links!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

ETA: Love the Bring Sally Up challenge. I found a whole lot more on Youtube when I clicked. I had only ever seen the push-up one before. Brutal. Unfortunately, even a side plank on my knees puts a lot of pressure on that shoulder. I could do it one side, but not the other. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I do straight arm planks usually. Just works different part of your core than forearm.

I also like getting in plank position and lifting one leg for a given number of seconds, then swapping and doing the other side. I have also done these alternating without holding, just right leg up, then down, left leg up, then down pattern, good for your glutes.

Another, plank position then alternate tapping the opposite shoulder with your hand (right hand taps left, then left goes to right), good for balance and engaging your core. 

I think that is as exciting as my planks get! lol

More exciting than mine! Thanks. I didn't know the straight arm planks worked a different part of the core. I have started the one legged planks, but glad to know about simply alternating. (I get bored really easily!) 

Thanks---and the promised bonus points for the links!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

ETA: Love the Bring Sally Up challenge. I found a whole lot more on Youtube when I clicked. I had only ever seen the push-up one before. Brutal. Unfortunately, even a side plank on my knees puts a lot of pressure on that shoulder. I could do it one side, but not the other. 

Yep. I am just now working up to doing the chaturangas on my knees. Couldn't do them at all before. I hate Sally. I identify much more with Ol' Miss Lucy -- dead and gone! -- after a round. But nothing builds strength like Sally does!

• Like 1

I also like alternating between forearm and straight arm planks.  It's WAY more doable for me than pushups, although I know it doesn't work all of the same muscles.  

I tend to do repeat the ones from a workout dvd I have and it includes walking to one side (straight arm plank, obviously) and then doing the mountain climber move. Repeat going to the other side.

Single arm and single leg ones are good, too.  If you can't do side planks, you can try "hip dip" planks (I think we do those in the 21 Day Fix program--there is a great ab workout that combines a lot of plank and modified crunch type moves).

• Like 1

I will do both straight arm and forearm.  In either variation, I will adjust my leg position - together, shoulder length apart, spread eagle.  Occasionally I will do a variation facing up as opposed to facing the mat.  I find this difficult and awkward, but I've slowly become more coordinated with it.

• Like 1