Menu

History/geography suggestions

mountains27

Hello, I know there must be a lot of posts on this subject but I'm adding one more :)

I was thinking I want to add in some more history and geography work for my 9 year old and am looking for some good curriculum ideas. It must be secular and have some structured workbook or activities to go with it- coloring pages are great but looking for a little more then just that. If it ties in some geography I'd be even happier!

I've looked at SOTW and that looks OK but want some other opinions and ideas also.

History Odyssey incorporates geography with history, and it uses the SOTW volumes for the younger grades but a different set of maps (I think; I don't have both HO and the SOTW guides for the same SOTW volumes).

I really like both 50 States and Where to Find Them and Trail Guides to US/World Geography. Together, they make a really great geography program for US, with literature, mapping, trivia, state symbols (the cardinal seems to be the state bird quite often!), a little history, and discussion of geographical terms. You can be cursory or go in depth with more research on a state too.

It's actually aimed at K-2nd graders, but Elemental History (Adventures in America) incorporates geography. Each week there are two state worksheets. You label the capital, list a few facts from the Smart About the Fifty States book and add the flag sticker to the page. We use this along with Seterra. I misplaced our Kindle Fire, but have a map app on there, too. We also have USA Bingo lol.