Menu

Latin Advice: SSL 2 or LFC 1

TheAttachedMama

Hi Everyone,

I could use some Latin placement advice.   Next year I will have two children studying latin:   A 3rd grader and a 4th grader.   This year they used SSL 1 and had a lot of fun.    Next year, I am wondering if I should put them both in SSL 2 -OR- LFC1?  (Or separate them?)   

To complicate things, BOTH my older children are mildly dyslexic.    They did OK with SSL 1, but I think that might be because the writing was minimal.   

SO--what would you suggest I use next year for Latin?

I was voting for either until you said dyslexia. In that case I'd go with SSL 2. LFC is a serious step up and would be challenging for a kid with no learning challenges.

Fwiw, I've used SSL, LFC, and LA! from CAP.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 4

I am going to throw another into the mix. We love the Latina christiana/first form progression!! They tell their friends at church, who are in a classical private school, how much they love Latin. Their friends think they are crazy. Haha. I feel like the program has all the right components to make Latin stick. We spend about 15 minutes in recitations and drills daily along with the weekly videos, daily worksheets and weekly quizzes/tests. They really get it. We are 3/4 of the way through First Form 1 right now.

Edited by Texas T
  • Like 1

My vote is SSL 2. I am using SSL 1 and 2 this year with my 4th grader. She's not dyslexic but I wanted to have a gentle intro to Latin. SSL 2 is more advanced than 1 but it's not too overwhelming for her. It's actually been a fun year doing both and she has retained SO MUCH from the program. I'm glad I did SSL before jumping into LfC. I think it would have moved too quickly for us.  

• Like 1

We are using SSL2 this year, along with Minimus, and I like it much better than SSL1 (the DVD for SSL1 is awful). We plan to do GSWL, Minimus Secundus, and Lively Latin next, but I agree with the others that LFC is a big jump. Do SSL2.

LfC is fast-paced.  It has you memorizing principle parts and noun endings really quickly--I'm glad my 4th grader (who is gifted in language) did something else first (Getting Started with Latin).  My 3rd grader did SSL1, is doing Getting Started with Latin now, and then will move on to LfC in a year or so.

• Like 1

We did SSL2 this year, second grade. It was a good jump up from SSL1. I'm happy we spent the time and money on it. I also got the teachers guide this time around just for the extra practice sheets in the back. We do SSL2 two times a week. One chapter a week. It's hefty with all the review of SSL1 thrown in. I separated my younger son out this time because it would have been too much.

LfC is fast-paced.  It has you memorizing principle parts and noun endings really quickly--I'm glad my 4th grader (who is gifted in language) did something else first (Getting Started with Latin).  My 3rd grader did SSL1, is doing Getting Started with Latin now, and then will move on to LfC in a year or so.

Yikes!  This has me scared.  Maybe Memoria Press would be better for my kids.   It seems much more incremental--although not as fun.  

SSL2 has been a great step up for my child with similar challenges to yours.  It is faster paced and a bit more intense, but it isn't as intense as the other regular programs I've looked at.  SSL1 and SSL2 are vocabulary building programs, and while SSL2 does start to get into a bit of the structure of the language, it doesn't go far.  

Royal Fireworks Press also has a neat program where the kids read in Latin only and they learn a bit about the history/culture too.  Or for something that builds more quickly, you can look at the Getting Started With Latin samples on Amazon.   

So if I were you, I'd keep them together and do SSL2, adding in RFWP or GSWL or Minimus if you finish SSL 2 and want more during the year.

Yikes! This has me scared. Maybe Memoria Press would be better for my kids. It seems much more incremental--although not as fun.

I have heard several people say they just stretched out LFC into two years instead of doing it in one year to slow down the pace. It is such a thorough program that I don't see doing that causing any problems at all. I actually wish we would have done it that way. As it is, I think we are going to spend the first half of next year just reviewing what we learned this year in LFC before we move on to the next level.

Yikes!  This has me scared.  Maybe Memoria Press would be better for my kids.   It seems much more incremental--although not as fun.  

Don't be scared!  LfC is an EXCELLENT program!  Just use it after you something else for a while.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend Getting Started with Latin (GSWL).  My husband (a Latin teacher) agrees.   :)

Edited by Peplophoros