Menu

Is there a setting in Word that would cause letters to type on top of one another?

Laurie4b

I just had a weird thing happen. I opened a file in Word and the words that had been there were all condensed into a black box at the beginning of the line. I opened a new file and started to type and the letters were all typing on top of one another. 

I am typing on the same laptop here, and when I tested my email, I can type there. This is just happening in Word. 

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Could be the kerning - highlight the text, right click, choose Font, go to the Advanced tab and see if Condensed is chosen under Character Spacing.

It could also be the font - some artistic fonts act funny on someone else's computer.

it could also be a text box that isn't big enough to fit the text.

If it's happening in a new document - shut down Word completely, open it up again with a blank document.  If it still happens, sounds like a change was made to your "Normal" template, or some other template was set as your default for new documents.

Thanks everyone. It was my own file that I had created. When I opened it, it was like that. Others were too. I shut down Word and restarted and it's okay. 

Just for the record, there was one space that accumulated all the letters on a line, so there was a weird shaped black box at the beginning of every line followed by nothing. Really odd. I do appreciate the help.