Menu

Basic Computer/Technology Skills?

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to make a list of some basic computer skills a child will need to be prepared for high school college, or a career.   Would anyone care to help me?   We are a low-tech family and up until now my son hasn't spent much time on the computer.    I also want to make sure that the stuff we are using at home is still the best stuff to learn.  (We haven't updated our microsoft office since before the kids were born!)   

This will be for next year for my rising 4th grader.   Sort of a "comp 101" class.  :)   

So far my list (in order) looks something like this:

1)  touch typing  (we are learning to type this year, next year will be about getting faster)

2)  navigating files on a computer, etc.

3)  word processing skills

4)  spreadsheets

5)  presentations

6)  internet searches

7)  internet safety

What else?

I also have these questions:

1)   We are a mac family.   So .... Is Microsoft Office still the standard thing to learn how to use?   Or should I teach him pages or something else?   I have been completely "out of it" when it comes to technology since before the kids were born.   I am sure a lot has changed.  :) 

2)  Can anyone recommend a book or curriculum for us to use as a guide?  I know most of these things, but I sort of take them for granted.  A book might be nice to use as a checklist to make sure I cover everything.

3)  What software do you recommend to make internet searches safer?   

The problem with a book or written curriculum is that technology changes so quickly that it is out of date as soon as it is published.

As far as software goes, most of the skills will transfer to a different software of the same type even if the exact places to click are named different things, so I don't think it really matters what a 4th grader starts using. The software will be different by the time that kid graduates high school. My DD who is in college mostly uses Goolge Docs instead of downloaded software.

If you are looking for a packaged curriculum, that a look at Connection Academy courses. (The ones you can buy individually, not the public school program. Although the class is part of the public school part) Connections hasEducational Technology courses for most grade levels that covers exactly what you have listed. Although, I do think the keyboarding portion is weak.

• Like 1

I told all my kids they had to present a power point presentation of anything they wanted.  (Like a slide show presentation on a computer.)  By doing that, you pretty much had to do a little of everything.   You had to learn how to research on the internet, learn how to download and edit images, learn how to make charts and grafts, learn how to use the keyboard and type, learn how to use a word processing program, and learn how to put it all together.

That approach seemed easier and less overwhelming than listing all the specific requirements ahead of time.  We just took it one step at a time and learned what we needed to learn when we reached the next step.  

I think Mac is great for something like this, and Microsoft Office plus whatever photo program your computer has is probably sufficient. 

Maybe this falls under "internet safety" but specifically: avoiding identity theft, not sending naked pictures of oneself (everyone will see them and they won't go away), suspicious fishing emails and spam (how to detect if it's really your bank that's contacting you).  I was also just reading about an online dating scam where the lovelorn are convinced to spend thousands of dollars on their new online "girlfriend/boyfriends."  

Also, don't join ISIS.  (I hear it's a thing now.)  Also, don't post racist or inappropriate comments publicly, even though you are only joking and everyone knows you aren't a racist, blah blah.  Did you hear about this story?

Ugh, the internet is scary.  

• Like 3

Maybe this falls under "internet safety" but specifically: avoiding identity theft, not sending naked pictures of oneself (everyone will see them and they won't go away), suspicious fishing emails and spam (how to detect if it's really your bank that's contacting you).  I was also just reading about an online dating scam where the lovelorn are convinced to spend thousands of dollars on their new online "girlfriend/boyfriends."  

Also, don't join ISIS.  (I hear it's a thing now.)  Also, don't post racist or inappropriate comments publicly, even though you are only joking and everyone knows you aren't a racist, blah blah.  Did you hear about this story?

Yes!  Those are all good things.  And things I might forget to specifically mention.   I need a checklist!   hahaha

I found both my kids had worked out how to do all that stuff on their own somehow, without ever being taught and just playing around on our home PC <feeling old>

they do need to both go through it again this summer though as a requirement for a Cub Scout badge, and also do a refresher on safe searching etc.

My son is 3rd grade and is currently learning how to code using a book called Super Scratch Programming Adventure. He's almost done with that one though and wants to move onto Python (I think it's called) next.

Yes!  Those are all good things.  And things I might forget to specifically mention.   I need a checklist!   hahaha

Check out Commonsense Media's Digital Citizenship materials. They cover a wide range of topics, including identity theft, cyberbullying, and effective searches. It's not perfect and the lessons are sort of "school-ish" but it's a great starting point for that list of skills. And we did do a number of their lessons at home, adapting to a casual/home environment. The lesson on spotting the internet scam was a lot of fun. And the cyberbullying videos are really good because they are real kids telling their stories. It's a great resource.

• Like 1